cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VIXIA HF G40 picture anomaly in the margins

t_dhawkins
Contributor

I upgraded from a G30 to this G40 several years ago but really didnt shoot video much with it until this past year. At times when shotting I thoiught I noticed a focus issue in the left and right margins of the viewfinder as I was shooting but forgot about it at the time. Later I was editing the video I shot and noticed in some situations the margins were blurred as I had seen them in the VF. This didnt happen with my G30 so I dont think it is normal.In all cases the center stays in focus and it seems like it gets worse when zooming. If I'm shooting stills with my DSLR, I would call the effect similar to bokeh or Halo but not as pronounced at the top and bottom of the frame. At least 90% of the frame (center) is unaffected. Is this typical of the G40's?

I would send it in to Canon for repairs but I would like some confirmation this is not right and that there is nothing I might do to my camera before sending it in. 

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yep, they keep the G40. I figure it's a push either way. Sell parts and deduct from retail replacement G50 or take the G50 at 20% off and no hassles.A plus is all my BP820 battery packs will fit the G50 🙂  

I had the G30 for many years and hundreds of hours of vdeo great camera... guess I got a lemon in the G40

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

IamintheUK
Rising Star
Rising Star

I don't see this with my G40, which I have had for three years, so you may have a problem with the lens. However, do go through all the settings first just in case you have something set that you have forgotten about.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
EOS C100 mk2 with the Canon EF-S 18-135mm IS STM lens - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n - Dell 8700 i7-4790 3.6Ghz, 24GB Ram, Win 10, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB - DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.5 - Blackmagic Speed Editor - Presonus Faderport 1

Thanks for the responses. I decided to reset the camera. I shot several test videos this morning and for the most part I did not see the smokey/focus corners as before. However I need to test it in  several light situations and and multiple zoom in/out cycles.

Sure was hoping someone would say "oh yes, mine did that too". it would make me feel better about sending it in for repair. 

I'll followup after I have time to put it through its paces.

Regards 

Tim
Authority

t_dhawkins, 

I am sorry this is the case.  We recommend sending the unit in for service to get this resolved.  You may fill out an online repair request form at the following link to setup your repair using our online service.

www.usa.canon.com/repair

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Inapickle
Rising Star
I wonder if you had some peripheral condensation/fogging on or inside the lens when you shot those affected videos

Thanks Inapickel,

I'm confident this was not an issue. But you make a good point. I live in a desert, the camera has been well cared for, kept clean and dry with no large temp swings (Sudden)

I notice the smokey aparitions change in relation to the backgroud as iI pan or elevate and in relation to the texture of the background. Seems shooting a bland wall or a blue sky made the phenom more apparent even a full zoom brought it out more. 

Hopefully I will have a answer soon as I went ahead and sent it to Canon Repair for a look

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

Do you use any sort of lens shade or filters on the camera?

Hi BurnUnit,

The G40 has a removeable lens hood with a flip door. The first thing I did was shoot some video wth that hood removed.... Still had the problem. I looked into the lens with light while zooming ...I see no issue and the lens is impecabley clean.

As mentioned, I went ahead and sent it for repair at Canon so we'll soon see. My guess is a sensor or somethng with the appature iris

Thanks for your help!

Good luck with that. I've just had to send my G40 into Canon for service. Out of the blue, a white speck appeared inside the lens housing just under the front element. Unfortunately the size and position of the speck (just off center) was such that it appeared on the video image. I wondered if I could remove the speck myself but after watching a video of an HF-G30 'teardown' and what is involved in opening the front lens housing I figured it wasn't worth the risk. And none of several camera repair shops in my locale would do it - they just send in to Canon and charge commission for doing so. It's a pain when these things happen after warranty expiration, but what can you do.

Thanks all for your responses.

Canon Repair reported my lens assembly had a defect. I dont think they meant the glass was damaged but more something to do with the lens package. Repair estimates approaching the cost of a new G50 which they offer for 20% off so I went with the G50.

Regards!!   

Announcements