cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VHS to dv avi file with elura 90

anon125
Enthusiast

how do i set up the camcorder to copy VHS tapes to DV AVI ?

i have the 3 red, yellow, white to one plug STV-250N? going from the out of the VCR to the camcorder.

the DV cable (firewire??) from the camcorder to the windows computer.

the camera is connected to the 120V power.

after i set the VCR to PLAY, what do i do with the camcorder?  will i see the video on the screen?

thanks all

PS do i need any software just to get it to a file?

9 REPLIES 9

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Anon125,

Thanks for posting.

The best description for this begins on page 83 of your Elura 90 Instruction Manual.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

thanks i found that but suspected there would be settings and buttons i have to press to set it up correctly.

well i see the video playing on the camcorder.

set to av to dv.

how do we tell windows to record it!

thanks

also i have connected the camcorder to the computer with theUSB cable.( at the lower of the 3 sockets)

or would i be better connetcing with the middle socket? is this the firewire?

am looking to get DV avi files.

are these the best quality?

thanks

FireWire is the preferred method for transferring video to the computer.  Most older camcorders will not transfer video via the USB cable.  As far as capturing the video goes you can use a video editing program to capture the video.

Hello Valued Canon Customer, 

Once you see video playing on the screen, the camcorder would need to be connected via Firewire (IEEE-1394).  To get Windows to start recording it, you actually will need third party supported video editing software or video creation software.  This was not bundled with the Elura 90 and wouldn't be supported directly by Canon. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

thanks all.

this is VHS tape to DV AVI via elura90.

the sound keeps breaking up, small gaps in the sound.

is that just because it is an 1996 tape?

thanks guys

Hello Valued Canon Customer, 

The small gaps in sound are more than likely caused because your source tape is both analog and old.  

We have one suggestion and that is you can try to clean the heads on your Elura 90 with a miniDV dry tape head cleaning cassette.  If the issues persist, we recommend finding cleaner source material. 

UHUH one of the tapes says it cannot be dubbed, something about copywrite!

suggestions welcome!

thanks

Announcements