cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the XA11 as an external camera for Windows 10 Home

JoshGrant
Apprentice

So I recently bought an XA11 in order to  both film and live stream lessons for my students. The reviews online from multiple sources indicated I would be able to hook this camera up to my computer in order to record video directly to the computer using OBS.

Previous cameras have been Plug-N-Play, the XA11 does not appear to be. How do you connect this camera to a lop top in order to record video directly onto that lap top, using programs like OSB?

I spent hours scouring forums and the user manual and have not found the answer yet. Thanks in advance!

5 REPLIES 5

Mark35mmF2
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi,

In most cases you would need a USB video capture device with an HDMI input to capture the live video from the camcorder. Most computers have HDMI ports but they are usually HDMI output only and would not accept an incoming signal. With a USB video capture device OBS should recognize the camcorder as a USB video input. For the XA11 you would want a capture device which can read a 1080 60i signal from HDMI.

i HAVE THE OBS PROGRAM AND i HAVE THE CONNECTER FROM MY LAP TOP HDM CONNECTED TO MY CAMERA PORT.  SO IN OBS I SHOULD SET MY SETTINGS TO WHAT FOR THE CAMERA TO ACCEPT IT THROUGH MY USB PORT,.

Not sure from your post what you are trying to do so I'll cover sending video both ways.

First of all you can't record the output of your PC onto the XA11 via the HDMI port. The HDMI & SDI ports on the XA11 are outputs only unlike earlier camcorders.

However you can use the XA11 as a webcam but you will need an HDMI to USB encoder to do this. They are cheap and you can find them on ebay. For full HD you will need USB3 though.

As for the XA11 usb port, this is a data port only.

THANK YOU, THE INFORMATION HAS BEEN HELPFUL.  NOW I'LL SEE IF I CAN PUT IT TO USE.  

Trusted27
Apprentice

how do I connect my cannon xa11 To my LAP TOP TO USE IT AS AN EXTERNAL CAMERA TO RECORD ON.

Announcements