cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using HF g50 for Live stream

bobsmit
Apprentice

Hi All,

I would like to pick up an use the G50 for live streaming via the HDMI output. I do have a few questions though:

1. I do not currently need the 4k output, only 1080p, I believe the HDMI output can be set to 1080p, is this correct?
  2. Is the HDMI out a clean, menuless out? or at least a way to hide the menu for the HDMI out?
  3. Does the camera have any auto power off after a certain amount of time without recording? If so, can this be disabled?
  4. Is there an option to have the camera remember it's last zoom option and return to the last zoom when powered on?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Forgot to look at answering this the other day.  I do own this cam, though I have not used the HDMI out myself.

1. The HDMI out is _only_ HD.  It won't output 4K at all.  So you're OK there.  BTW, it can output 8-bit 4:2:2 which is nice.
  2. I am almost postive the HDMI is indeed clean.
  3. You can turn auto power off according to page 103 of the manual.  However, you'll want to use an external plugged-in powersource (i.e. not battery).  As stated in the manual, for Auto Power Off... "In order to save power when the camcorder is powered by a battery pack, it will automatically shut off if left without any operation for 5 minutes".
  4. The cam does remember the last zoom option in between power up/down.  I tried three times.  First, having the zoom somewhere in the middle.  Then, at the wide end.  Then, at the tele end.  Unit always powered up with the zoom set at what is was before.
--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

douglasnyarko
Apprentice

Hello,

Thank you for posting this.

I purchased this camera yesterday for live streaming. On the review of some online videos, I got the impression that I could live stream without a video interface device. It looks like that assumption is wrong as the live stream app is not able to see the camera. I have connected via HDMI and USB and still cannot see the camera in the app.

Is there anything I am missing?

Thank you,

Doug

gallenfcc
Apprentice

We just purchased a G50.  We have it hooked up to an iMac through a magewell capture card, minis HD, to HD, to USB to iMac.  It says it cannot find the camera.  We hoooked it up to my PC with windows 10 and it picked up the camera and even let us do a live stream test. Can anyone with Mac experience tell us what we might be missing?  THanks!  Gary

Announcements