cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to Connect Mic to my Camera

Madeleine_Drews
Apprentice

Hi,

I recently purchased a Cannon Vixia HF R800 and I love it so far! The only problem I've run into is trying to connect a mic to it. I already own an audio-technica AT2005USB microphone (well I kind of stole it from my brother because he wasn't using it) and was hoping I could connect it to my cannon for a bit better sound. However, I can't find a way to switch the imput audio or maybe they just aren't compatable in the first place. From what I've read,  my problem might just be that the microphone can't support its own power and the camera I have wont provide it with power, but I'm just not sure.

Either way, any help would be really nice, pls just let me know if I'm doing this all wrong in the first place or if there's just something I'm missing. I'm super new to all of this so I could just be trying to force something to work that isn't possible. 

Thank you so much for your time, if anyone responds to this    (/ω\)  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

This mic MAY work with your Vixia camcorder but you will need an adapter from its XLR output to the 3.5mm mic input of your camcorder; the USB output is not usable because your camcorder doesn't expect audio over USB.  This microphone model has a dynamic element which doesn't require external power HOWEVER the mic may be set up where it requires power to the unused portions of its circuitry even if you just want to use the XLR audio output from its dynamic mic element. 

The headphone port for monitoring the mic definitely won't work without USB power.  I would not advise trying to power the mic so that you can extract audio for the camcorder from the mic's built in headphone jack.  Several outcomes are possible from that approach and most of them aren't good.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

This mic MAY work with your Vixia camcorder but you will need an adapter from its XLR output to the 3.5mm mic input of your camcorder; the USB output is not usable because your camcorder doesn't expect audio over USB.  This microphone model has a dynamic element which doesn't require external power HOWEVER the mic may be set up where it requires power to the unused portions of its circuitry even if you just want to use the XLR audio output from its dynamic mic element. 

The headphone port for monitoring the mic definitely won't work without USB power.  I would not advise trying to power the mic so that you can extract audio for the camcorder from the mic's built in headphone jack.  Several outcomes are possible from that approach and most of them aren't good.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Thank you so much,  that was really helpful!!

You are welcome and good luck with your audio setup!  Now you just need to get your brother to buy the adapter so that you can "borrow" it also 🙂

Rodger

Announcements