cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Split files?

jla930
Enthusiast

I have a Canon Vixia HF R800.  The memory card in it is formatted as exFAT, which supports file sizes greater than 4 GB.  However, I shot a continuous video about an hour long, and the camera stored the video on the memoy card as 4 individual files, 3 of them a hair over 4 GB, and the last one a bit under 4 GB.  Why is this happening?  The memory card should support one large file.  I can't find any camera setting that specifies the maximum file size, or anything like that.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tim
Authority

Hello jla930, 

The camera has the ability to capture files that are 4GB in size or 29m 59s in length, whichever comes first.  It does not record clips continuously like a tape would, it breaks them up into 4GB clips.  These are able to be merged seamlessly during the post-production process.  

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

33 REPLIES 33

There's a free windows program called fjoiner that can stitch the files together so the missing frame reappears. I have no idea why you can't just dump all the files into an editing program and it drove me nuts for a while until I found the solution.

Hi Thanks so much on the info about fJoiner !! 

What about the missing audio, does it fix that too? 

I'd sure like to know what this is the way it is? 

Whats the truth here? 

A) Either the frames are really missing and this duplicactes them? or patches it

B) The frames ar not missing only hidden some how, and this fixes the problem correctly

I dump frames using ffmpeg and ffprobe and coundl make any sense of it all 

Next step is to email the fjoiner author  Igor Jerosimić 

Maybe he knows !!! 

Thank you, 

Ed

As best I can tell the info is there but doesn't show up as the last frame in a file when you put it into editing software. Easy enough to stitch two files together and go frame by frame. I think it works fine.

Bansaw is correct. Unless there is a way to force the camera to record continuously, you will get  ca. 4 gb files, and when you try to assemble them into one file, there is a small dead space, ca. 1 frame, that is clearly audible. For a classical music recording this means anywhere between 1/16th and 1/4 note dropout, clearly unacceptable. Overlapping the files in a video editor leaves a conductor looking herky-jerky, let alone the poor musicians!

Thanks for posting I am canceling my R700 order - as this is unacceptable. 

Cannon T/S just told me zero drop outs, I seen another blog say the same things. 

I can understand he file rollover but not data loss. And Its not documented in the manual 

and they lie about it. 

This is the difference from Consumer to Pro I guess. 

Rather sad. 

I might be looking at Sony Panasonic next. 

"These are able to be merged seamlessly during the post-production process."

How?  I'm not a professional videographer.  Is there Canon software to download?  

We use this camcorder at work to record some of our meetings and responsibility for doing so has changed hands a few times.  I do not even know where the original user manual is.  We're lucky if we can get the files onto a computer.

This answer is a bit like a recipe for beef wellington that only says "the ingredients are able to be merged seamlessly prior to baking."

The Canon camcorder can be plugged into a computer via any USB cable.

Then it will show up on your computer as an external drive.

Then you can browse this external drive for the MP4 files it created.

Copy these MP4s to your computer and then import them into any video editing software such as Sony Vegas, Adobe Premiere etc. 

And then append the files one after the other.

Hi Tim,

what software will I use to merged the splitted files from my R500?  Would have this software?

Any video editor, like Sony Vegas, Adobe Premiere.

Hi, eugenepsantos, to merge the splitted files together, you can try Joyoshare Video Joiner. It would help you.

Announcements