cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Split files?

jla930
Enthusiast

I have a Canon Vixia HF R800.  The memory card in it is formatted as exFAT, which supports file sizes greater than 4 GB.  However, I shot a continuous video about an hour long, and the camera stored the video on the memoy card as 4 individual files, 3 of them a hair over 4 GB, and the last one a bit under 4 GB.  Why is this happening?  The memory card should support one large file.  I can't find any camera setting that specifies the maximum file size, or anything like that.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tim
Authority

Hello jla930, 

The camera has the ability to capture files that are 4GB in size or 29m 59s in length, whichever comes first.  It does not record clips continuously like a tape would, it breaks them up into 4GB clips.  These are able to be merged seamlessly during the post-production process.  

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

33 REPLIES 33

IamintheUK
Rising Star
Rising Star

ExFAT does not support files larger than 4Gb. For longer the file system would need to be HTFS. There is no setting on the camera to specify the file size, which is also governed by the Bitrate and Framerate that you are shooting at.. If you use Canons' own transfer utility to transfer the files from the camcorder to your computer, the separate files will automatically be combined into one.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
EOS C100 mk2 with the Canon EF-S 18-135mm IS STM lens - Zoom H2n - Dell 8700 i7-4790 3.6Ghz, 24GB Ram, Win 10, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB - DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.6 - Blackmagic Speed Editor - Presonus Faderport 1 - DJI Ronin S

lamintheUK,

Plese check your facts.

1). Exfat does support files larger than 4 GB.  You’re thinking of FAT32 which does not.

2). You said “HTFS”.  Do you mean “NTFS”?  A file system does not have to be NTFS for files larger than 4 GB. Exfat will do.

By the way, what is the name of Canon’s transfer utility?  Can it be downloaded?

Yes, I meant NTFS. You will find that Canon use FAT32 on their SD cards hence the 4gb max. I misread you post which said ExFAT. You can find the Transfer Utility LE download on the Pixela website.http://www.pixela.co.jp

__________________________________________________________________________________________
EOS C100 mk2 with the Canon EF-S 18-135mm IS STM lens - Zoom H2n - Dell 8700 i7-4790 3.6Ghz, 24GB Ram, Win 10, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB - DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.6 - Blackmagic Speed Editor - Presonus Faderport 1 - DJI Ronin S

The reference to the Pixela software is faulty in this case - the camera ID # will not let you download the software for a Canon R800. I tried every option using the SN on the bottom of the camers, and it always gives an error.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements