cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovery from Vixia HFR40 INTERNAL memory

ccm007
Contributor

Is there any way to recover deleted videos from the Vixia HFR40 internal memory? We accidentally deleted all our videos (two years of kids) when trying to free up space.

We have tried all of the recovery software (10+), but they do not recognize the camcorder and its onboard, internal memory as a drive. The normal solution is to remove the flash card and use a card reader.

That is obviously not possible with the internal memory. We need a way to create a full image of the internal memory and its partitions/allocations...not just the remaining pics/videos.

Any suggestions would be extremely appreciated.

Best,

Chris

17 REPLIES 17

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Ccm007,

Thank you for posting.

Canon does not offer image/ movie recovery software for memory cards or internal memory. I regret the difficulty this causes.

The recovery of images and movies from your camcorder would probably best be performed by a company that offers this sort of service. If you have local camera shops, I recommend selecting one that caters to professional photographers.

As you're searching for a solution, I recommend seeking out and scrutinize user and professional reviews for the shops you're considering.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

VideoGeek
Mentor

Are you using a Mac or PC?  When you connect the camcorder do you see an extra drive letter in Windows Explorer or Finder?  Just out of curiosity what recovery software have you tried using?  When you connect the camcorder to the computer have you removed the SD card if there is one?

ccm007
Contributor
Video geek -

I'm using a pc, but we tried a Mac too. I've tried photorec, easeUS, wondershare, card recovery, asof tech, etc.

The camcorder shows up as a device (camera) with no drive letter in explorer. There is no sd card, as its internal memory. For there were, we could just put it in a card reader. 😞

Thanks for asking the follow ups. Any ideas wouldn't e great.

I understand the files are stored on internal memory.  I had only asked about the SD card because some camcorders won't recognize the internal memory as a drive if the SD card is inserted.  I'm looking into it and wondering if there is some setting that needs to be changed to get the computer to recognize the internal memory as a drive in Explorer.

When you connect the camcorder to the PC are you powering it using the battery only or are you using the power cord connected to a power outlet?

ccm007
Contributor
To be clear, I think the software would work but it can't even see the camera in the interface. Only the c drive.

Is this the first time you have connected the camera to the computer?  I only ask because according to the manual the first time you connect you need to select the CameraWindow auto-launch setting.  More on connecting to the computer can be found on pages 114-115 of the user manual.  Let me know if these are things you have already tried.

ccm007
Contributor
Ah, sorry. Didn't get that. There isn't a card in the camera. I am using the power cord. Also, this was the first time connecting, but I used the procedure in the manual (without the software).

So even with the CameraWindow set to auto-launch nothing appeared?  I'm not sure the software referenced in the manual would do much good unless there is some driver included but I doubt a driver is needed for the camcorder to be recognized.  I will continue to search and see what, if anything, I can find.

It looks like this. The below image is my camera, but they show up the same way. I don't want to connect the camcorder too much in case somehow something gets (more) messed up.   😕 

Thanks for your help!

connection.png

Announcements