Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Recording over previous recording

I would like to erase the previous recording on a DVD tape on my Canon Optura 50 and use tape again. Will a new 

recording erase the previous recording? 

Thanks

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Recording over previous recording

Greetings,

Your camera will not delete or overwrite recorded footage unless told to do so.  Reading your product's manual will likely help answer your question. Page 32.  

http://pdisp01.c-wss.com/gdl/WWUFORedirectTarget.do?id=MDkwMDAwMDY4MjAx&cmp=ABR&lang=EN

~Rick
Bay Area - CA
~6D2 ~Many Lenses ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~Windows10 Pro ~EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 Ultra ~Pixma Pro-100
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your reply and information. I have searched through the manual about this but not found instructions how to erase the tape. I did look at page 32 and maybe I am just not seeing or understanding it.

Highlighted
Product Expert

Hi no1texan,

Thanks for the reply.

You won't be able to erase a Mini DV tape in the way that you can erase or format a memory card, but you can record over the prior footage. Simply rewind the tape to the area where you want to start recording, switch back to the camera mode, and press record.

Hope that helps.