cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R400 tripod threads stripped.

kohanmike
Apprentice
I have two Vixia HF R400 camcorders I've been using off and on for over a year. Last night I used them and discovered the 1/4-20 threads underneath for the tripod was broken out and I could not attach the camera to my tripod, I had to use gaffers tape. I then looked at the second one and it's also cracking. Obviously I tightened the plate I used too much. Is there any possible way to fix it?
1 REPLY 1

kohanmike
Apprentice

I contacted Canon tech support and then customer service and because my camcorders are a few months out of warranty, all they could suggest is to send them and get an estimate, which could start at around $150 each. I've seen factory refurbs on eBay for $180, so sending them in is obviously not viable.

Then I got in my mickey-mouse mode and came up with a repair that actually works. I have strips of very heavy duty Velcro™ material, so I cut them to size, attached them to the brackets I use and to the camcorder. I have to say, they're more sturdy than I was expecting. The Velcro is between the base of the R400 and the bracket.

R400 with Bracket

Announcements