cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old School GL2-Upload To Computer Via Camera?

RonBailey
Apprentice

Hi gang,

I did this back in 2008 with my first GL2 (just picked up a new-old stock one) with a different operating system and machine.

Not finding any software that will work with Windows 10, 64 bit.  Any ideas on how I can hook the camera up to an HP 1520t machine and run the tape into the computer?  I know I can use the conversion boxes, but the resolution is lower than the output of the camera.

I've seen where this question was asked about 4 years ago re using a laptop.  Is there anything I can add, hardware wise, to my PC that will enable me to upload the DV tape without losing resolution and sound quality?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Mark35mmF2
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hey there,

To get the best quality capture from this camcorder you would need to import it the old fashioned way using a Firewire cable and video capture software or a video editing program with a live capture feature. Since most computers don't come standard with Firewire ports anymore you will likely need to purchase a USB capture device with a Firewire port and a Firewire cable. The Firewire port on your camera is a 4-pin port and most capture devices will have an 8-pin Firewire port but you will want to doublecheck because some will have the 4-pin instead.

On the software side, most video editing programs will have a live capture option, but I suspect livestreaming software like OBS Studio would likely have an option to record the live feed as well.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Mark35mmF2
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hey there,

To get the best quality capture from this camcorder you would need to import it the old fashioned way using a Firewire cable and video capture software or a video editing program with a live capture feature. Since most computers don't come standard with Firewire ports anymore you will likely need to purchase a USB capture device with a Firewire port and a Firewire cable. The Firewire port on your camera is a 4-pin port and most capture devices will have an 8-pin Firewire port but you will want to doublecheck because some will have the 4-pin instead.

On the software side, most video editing programs will have a live capture option, but I suspect livestreaming software like OBS Studio would likely have an option to record the live feed as well.

I apprecieate your reply and thought that's what I would have to do. 

In the meantime, I forgot that I have an old desktop tower that has Windows XP!  It's in storage and I should be able to run the old Canon software on that system.

Thanks again.

Announcements