cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No audio with external mike

tweaver113
Apprentice

Using brand new VIXIA R500 camcorder, auto mode.  Normal audio with built-in mike.  Normal audio with headphones.  But when I plug in external mike, there is no audio, and level meter doesn't move.  True for headset mike, and brand new Nikon ME-1 mike.  Can you help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

RODE Stereo mike arrived today, it works perfectly!  The difference is it has a built in 9V battery.  That's one more thing to crap out in a middle of a shoot, but I'll live with that.  RODE is higher price, but regarded as the defacto standard.  Next step is shooting outdoors on a windy day, see how much noise supression there is.  That's the whole reason I went with external mike.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Tweaver113,

From your description, it sounds like the microphone may not be compatible with the camcorder.  Here are the specifications for external microphones:

• 3.5 mm stereo minijack
  • -57 dBV (with 600 Ohm microphone)/5 kilohms or more

I recommend checking with the manufacturer to ensure that it's compatible with the VIXIA HF R500.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

RODE Stereo mike arrived today, it works perfectly!  The difference is it has a built in 9V battery.  That's one more thing to crap out in a middle of a shoot, but I'll live with that.  RODE is higher price, but regarded as the defacto standard.  Next step is shooting outdoors on a windy day, see how much noise supression there is.  That's the whole reason I went with external mike.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements