cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Canon Vixia HF R42 does not work as promised!

blazer5
Apprentice

I just setup my new Canon Vixia HF R42 camcorder and wanted to use my Android cell phone, a Samsung Galaxy S4 to use as a remote for this Vixia camcorder. These 2 devices connect with each other perfectly, but I need the app, CameraAccess by Pixela from Google Play. I cannot even locate this app through Google Play, when I do a search, I locate this app. The app says my device is not compatible to download or install. Obviously Canon has not updated this app to current usage by these Android Version 4.3 devices as the Samsung Galaxy S4. What about this problem Canon? If I would have known this problem existed when I was purchasing this camcorder, I would have purchased another brand that would stay current with technology and not lie about the ability to use an app (CameraAccess) it advertises about!!!

4 REPLIES 4

Tim
Authority

Hello Blazer5,

It is regrettable that you haven't been able to use your S4 with the VIXIA HF R42 via Pixela.  It  does mention on the Google Play store that Android Version 4.0 or later would have this issue.  Regardless, we understand it is frustrating and we do apologize for the inconvenience. 

If this is an urgent technical support matter, we urge you to contact technical support directly, through the Service and Support  web page.  

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Victor_S
Apprentice

Welcome to the club, I have the R40 and a Samsung Note 3. The Pixela Camera Access app is marked in the Play Store as compatible with just a very few Android phones, and you can't even load it from the store if you have a phone like ours. Canon blames this on Pixela and appears to be doing nothing about it, but still promonently displays "Android compatibility" on the box. Very disappointing.

trader4300
Contributor
Canon needs to take action on this and Force Pixela to update its android app to be compatible with current android operating platforms. Otherwise, Canon is falsely advertising their product or at the very least, is claiming their products only work with the outdated versions of Pixela. I am very disappointed as this was one of the features in my decision making process.

Why is there no workaround for this by Canon? There are hundreds of complaints from people who have purchased this camera only to find that the features you publicize do not work with the current smart phones on the market. I urge you to work with Pixela to develop support for Android 4.3 or to remove the advertising that says this is compatible with smartphones. It is NOT any more. At the very least, can you give us a work around solution as to how we can remotely operate the HFR42.
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements