cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help selecting a camcorder

Eafworkshop
Contributor

Hello! I have been on a hunt for a camcorder and thought asking the community here would be my best option- after returning two cheap off-brand cameras purchased from Amazon. I have an old Rebel camera, and really respect Canon's products. Currently I am looking into purchasing either a Vixia G50 or G60 but have no idea whether they will suit my needs. 

I am an artist and am really interested in making time-lapse footage of my work. It would be really nice if I could have the camera set really close, maybe with a macro lens and definitely high definition. I am a complete amateur, and any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

-Andrew

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Its a simple decision really.  If you have the money, the G60 will out perform the G50 in the majority of cases, specifically in the areasa of low light, and depth of field.  Both use a 58mm lens, digic 6 and both support interval recording. 

The camera's have a fixed lenses, so macro photography will not be one of their strongest suits.  Minimum focus distance is 20mm on the G50 and 10mm on the G60

Cinematic wise, you get 24P with the G60. 

Moving to a 1in sensor on the G60 is a wiser investment in the long run. 

Prices are stable right now.  Do your research.  Good Luck. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10

~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8 ~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Its a simple decision really.  If you have the money, the G60 will out perform the G50 in the majority of cases, specifically in the areasa of low light, and depth of field.  Both use a 58mm lens, digic 6 and both support interval recording. 

The camera's have a fixed lenses, so macro photography will not be one of their strongest suits.  Minimum focus distance is 20mm on the G50 and 10mm on the G60

Cinematic wise, you get 24P with the G60. 

Moving to a 1in sensor on the G60 is a wiser investment in the long run. 

Prices are stable right now.  Do your research.  Good Luck. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10

~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8 ~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you so much for the insight, Shadow! It's been a little confusing doing research and this is exactly the guidance I had hoped for

Thank you for the advice, Rick! I just got my G60 in the mail last week, and I couldn't be happier with it. It out performs all my expectations and as luck would have it, has the ability to attach additional lenses! 

One assumes you mean the, somewhat pricey, accessory ('conversion') lens attachments for enhanced wide angle (WA-U58) and tele-photo (TL-U58) ?

Eafworkshop
Contributor
Yes sir I believe I do mean those! I am an easy mark to get suckered into sets sometimes. At first inspection and test it seemed like I could get some use out of the macro lens, perhaps not the telephoto
Announcements