Canon Community Canon Community

Frequent Contributor

Just got the Canon XF400 !

Spoiler

I had been using my Canon Vixia G60 camcorder for over a year which I like a lot and still use. But I had been having "top handle" envy for some time and had been eyeing the Canon XF400. I just received the XF400 from B&H and I can definitely say I'm already instantly spoiled by having dual XLR audio inputs on the top handle! I attached the Audio Technica AT875R boom shotgun mic to the top handle mic holder into XLR input 1. I also attached a Comica dual wireless lav mic receiver to the top handle cold shoe going into the XLR input 2. Now I can do running and gunning filming while recording audio both close range from the shotgun mic plus from a far distance from the U.H.F. wireless lav mic receiver. For the Comica wireless system, I can either choose to use 2 wireless transmitters or swap out one transmitter for the Comica handheld mic to pass around for doing interview style filming. I can also utilize the camera's built-in stereo mic for recording audio for input channel 3 and 4. That means a total of 4 mics recording audio simultaneously if I so desire. Woohoo! I already added the latest firmware update which now provides 6 different color profiles to choose from, another plus! 4K at 60 FPS is another bonus along with the larger 3.5 inch LCD touch screen!

Occasional Contributor

Re: Just got the Canon XF400 !

Congratulations on the purchase! My pocket would'nt run to a 1.0 sensor so I finished up buying the Canon XA40 a couple of months ago. For some strange reason I've temporarily lost my motivation for using it. As you say the mike input options are great. Good luck with it.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Just got the Canon XF400 !

Thanks for the reply. I'm spoiled by the 1 inch sensor on my Canon Vixia G60 camcorder so I already knew I wanted another 1 inch sensor model, but with XLR inputs.