cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to transfer a video from my XA10 into my Mac; however, no icon appears on my desktop.

HelenV
Contributor

My question needs to be in Camcorder Discussion; however, "Select Location" refuses to allow it, going instead to Gen'l Discussion.

I've plugged the camcorder into my MacBook to transfer a video, either to my desktop, or to my EHD. However, iPhoto doesn't open up as the manual claims, and no icon appears anywhere else for the camcorder.

Thank you in advance.

Helen

5 REPLIES 5

VideoGeek
Mentor

You may want to take a look at a possible solution, although for a different camcorder, in this thread:

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Camcorder-Discussion/Vixia-HF-R72-How-do-I-transfer-video-recorded...

Look on page 1 for the suggestion by DoroLed

Below is what she suggested:

"

• Plug camera into power, connect to computer with USB cable. Switch on, press "Play" button. USB connection appears on LED screen. (iPhoto will open up; close it.)

• Go to your Applications folder and open Image Capture (should already have come installed).

• Your camera should show up in the upper left. Click on it.

• At the bottom of this sidebar, from "Connect this camera to:" choose "No application." (Then iPhoto won't open up automatically any more.)

• By now, your camera files should show up in the window. Select the ones you want to import. (You can choose to delete them after importing by clicking the box at bottom left of window.)

• At the bottom of the window, click on the arrow of "Import to;", and choose "Other" from the drop-down menu. In the appearing Finder window, go to your Movies > iMovie Events folder and make a new folder (button bottom left). Name it whaever you would name your new iMovie event.

• back in Image Capture, click "Import Selected." It'll take a while depending on size of movies.

• When you open iMovie, it will recognize and process your new event. Ta-dah!"

Just out of curiosity does the camcorder's internal drive, assuming that is where the clips are stored, show up in Finder?

Thanks!

Let me know if that works.  Good to know that the camcorder now shows up in Finder.

I saved your instructions for future reference; however, the camera icon finally showed up on it's own. Maybe it had gone into cyberspace for a cuppa...

p.s. No, the camcorder didn't show up in finder. It does now, tho.
Announcements