cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a cannon vixia hfr50. How do I make my camera silent w/o beeps and chimes?

ftkunz
Contributor

I use my camera for wildlife veiwing and the camera makes so many beeps, chimes and musical sounds that it scares the game away. Is there a way to put it in silent mode or something without hampering the recording quality?

Another odd thing it does is splits up my video into a bunch of small sections about 13 minutes long and calls them pictures. This is also very frustrating. I can't even video my childrens activities w/o a bunch of brakes in the movie.

Please help me figure these two things out. Thank you.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Tim
Authority

Hello ftkunz, 

There is a setting inside the Menu of your VIXIA HF R50 inside the System Setup you'll see Notification Sounds and click Set to go into it and you can turn them off.  This will disable the sounds in the camera. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

ftkunz,

There are instances in our other camcorder models where the files will be broken up into multiple files because of file size limitations of the file system used by the camcorder.  This may be normal.

What is the exact file size of the broken up files you have when you record a clip long enough?

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Tim
Authority

Hello ftkunz, 

There is a setting inside the Menu of your VIXIA HF R50 inside the System Setup you'll see Notification Sounds and click Set to go into it and you can turn them off.  This will disable the sounds in the camera. 

Thank you Tim for answering part of my question by pointing me in the right direction to put my cam in silent mode.

Now how do I stop it from chopping up all my video footage?

Was the issue I needed to find a solution to as well. Thank you every much.

Could you be a bit more specific?  Is the issue with separate files?  If yes, then try downloading the Pixela software mentioned in the post above yours.  There is no way to get the camcorder to save a continuous recording, over more than a few minutes long, in a single file.  Most video eding software will assemble the video for you once imported.

Tim
Authority

Hello ftkunz, 

It's possible that this is occurring because the memory is starting to get full.  We should clear some clips if possible to free some space on the media.  

The memory card is empty at the start of each recording.

It won't record longer than about 13 minutes without breaking the session and starting another file. Its doing this completly on its own and does not show up (until I download the footage to my computer and the camera has multiple files instead of one video file). I video taped a concert for a local musician and the camerea chopped up all the footage so not even one song is in a complete single file. 

Instead of the camera recording a normal video, is breaks the footage up into 13 minute files that it calls photo files.

I'm very frustrated with this camera, and at this point, I'm considering demanding Canon re-emberse me for a new camera. I've tried going through the menus and there is no clear solution. All I wanted was a simple, easy to use video camera and what I ended up with is a complicated confusing somewhat useless lemon. I honestly, at this point, could not in good conscience recamend this camera to anyone.

The reason I joined this forum is because the goofballs at the Canon tech support line were completly clueless and an attempt at email help also yeiled no solusions. It appears that I waisted my money.

ftkunz,

There are instances in our other camcorder models where the files will be broken up into multiple files because of file size limitations of the file system used by the camcorder.  This may be normal.

What is the exact file size of the broken up files you have when you record a clip long enough?

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

This is un-acceptable!

You said, "There are instances in our other camcorder models where the files will be broken up into multiple files because of file size limitations of the file system used by the camcorder.  This may be normal." That is not a good enough answer.

Every section of video that it puts into a picture file is 3.9 gb.

Why won't it let me just make a normal video?

Hi Ftkunz,

The file size is limited by the FAT32 (File Allocation Table, 32 bit) file system the camcorder uses.  While this system allows you to transfer images and movies between multiple, and sometimes incompatible systems, it does restrict file sizes.

Announcements