cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a Canon Vixia HV40 camcorder.

Goldbtik29
Apprentice

I want to transfer the digital video tapes it produces to DVD using an iMac. Do I need some kind o patch to do that?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Mykolas
Authority

Hi Goldbtik29!

Thank you for posting.

You can transfer the video recorded with your HV40 to your computer by connecting the camcorder to your computer using a DV cable.  The DV cable connects to the HDV/DV terminal on the camcorder, then to an IEEE1394 port on the computer.  Then, set the camcorder to the playback mode. 

You will need to use video editing software to bring the video over, process it how you want, then record that to another media format, like a DVD.

This didn't answer your question? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Mykolas
Authority

Hi Goldbtik29!

Thank you for posting.

You can transfer the video recorded with your HV40 to your computer by connecting the camcorder to your computer using a DV cable.  The DV cable connects to the HDV/DV terminal on the camcorder, then to an IEEE1394 port on the computer.  Then, set the camcorder to the playback mode. 

You will need to use video editing software to bring the video over, process it how you want, then record that to another media format, like a DVD.

This didn't answer your question? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you. I was able to record the tape directly into iMovie for editing.

ideas111
Apprentice

It is 2022 - the camera works fine, however the PC does not see the camera anymore due to the camera settings. I have seen hundreds of posts about this same issue.

I am desperately trying to get footage transferred to my computer (both Mac or PC). I no-longer have the DV cable that came with the camera and have purchased a 4 pin to USB that actually fits into the DV port but is not recognized by either computers. Cannon and various tech supports (i.e., BestBuy/Staples) seems to know how to solve this puzzle. I am looking for an actual solution that works. Thank you!

Announcements