cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to capture mini DV in a newer laptop that doesn't have a FireWire port

chebowitz
Apprentice

Current laptops (it's Sept. 2013) don't have FireWire ports nor PCMCIA expansion slots. I have a Canon HDV 20 mini DV camcorder that requires FireWire to transfer the video to a laptop. So what options are there? Are there any devices or accessories that can tap into any other ports on the laptop? I've read that FireWire to USB cables don't work (for one thing I've read USB saves data in packets rather than streaming the data). Most laptops have SD/MMC memory card slots---are there accessories or adapters made that can tap into these ports (similar to PCMCIA cards)?

6 REPLIES 6

Tim
Authority

Hello Chebowitz,

The Canon HV20 camcorder currently only supports capture via Firewire.  We aren't aware of a third party capture method, outside of a basic capture card, that would allow you to connect and import video.  Perhaps you can use a desktop to capture video from this camcorder and get this issue resolved.  We regret any inconvenience that this may cause you.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks Tim for your response. At the time the HV20 came out, USB 3.0 wasn't around. Do you know if I connect a FireWire cable to a USB 3.0 port via an appropriate adapter if that will successfully achieve a clean capture?

Hi Chebowitz,

Unfortunately, we don't know of a USB to firewire connection that will allow the transfer of movies from your camcorder.  I'm sorry for the difficulty this causes.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks Richard for your reply. The HV20 has an HDMI port. Can I successfully capture video onto my laptop utilizing the camcorder's HDMI port?

Hello Chebowitz,

The HV20 does indeed have an HDMI terminal, but the purpose of this port is for viewing and playback of the video.  I don't know of an official way to capture it as this would require some sort of an HDMI capture port/ card which I doubt your computer has installed unless this is a professional editing system.  If it's something you are interested in pursuing you're welcome to give it a shot but it's not something we support at Canon. 

Hi.
I've just taken possession of a HV20 which is in very good condition.
Have followed all the instructions to install it onto a laptop running on Windows Vista (32 bit) however, when software installer asks for it to be connected to the computer, it isn't recognised, no matter what I do.
The firewire cable is brand new because I didn't have one before this, so it's unlikely to be the source of the connection problem.
Any suggestions?

Announcements