cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Please!!! Viewing Video

stenger
Contributor
I have a XF 300 camera. I have downloaded my video onto external hard drives from the CF card by using the supplied Canon XF software. My computers will not play the video that is stored on the hard drives. Can someone please help me get this worked out. I am new at this and have idea what I am doing.

Thank you.
10 REPLIES 10

Tim
Authority

Hello stenger, 

The XF Utility software should allow you to view the footage.  The use of a NLE (non-linear editor) is recommended for editing purposes.  

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

stenger
Contributor
Everything is on hard drives and the Xf software will not view it off the hard drives.

stenger
Contributor
I want to watch it or edit straight from the hard drives

strenger..

Can you be a little more specific?  We know what camera you own. 

What OS are you runnng, windows or MAC?

What does the file format of the movie show on your computer?

What happens when you try to play a clip?

Error message, black screen?

Have you tried playback in another program? 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

stenger
Contributor
Windows
Error message saying video can not be played. I tried it on two different. Windows computers and same message.

stenger
Contributor
This is really frustrating it should be a plug and play system. Or easier for beginners to use.

Are your files on the same hard drive as your OS and media player or editing software, or are they on a remote hard drive? Which media player software are you trying to use? Media Player Classic or VLC Media Player tend to play just about any video file format you can throw at them. Also, Irfanview includes a video player that covers a lot of different formats. And all of the software listed above has free downloads.

The XF300 is a professional HD camera that records MPEG 2 50Mbps 10bit format video in an MXF container. Most everyday video players will not play MXF. You will need an NLE such as Adobe Premiere, DaVinci Resolve, or Avid Media Composer to open and view these files.

This is not a consumer camera but a professional one for experienced users. So don't expect things like plug and play.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
EOS C100 mk2 with the Canon EF-S 18-135mm IS STM lens - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n - Dell 8700 i7-4790 3.6Ghz, 24GB Ram, Win 10, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB - DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.5 - Blackmagic Speed Editor - Presonus Faderport 1

CanonPhotoshop
Apprentice

If this conversation isn't over...

I installed Canon XF hoping to view metadata, but I can't even see videos within the program.  I don't know if it will display the info I want to see in the metadata, but it sounded interesting enough to explore.  (I've been viewing and editing within Adobe Premiere without issues, so it's just a matter of understanding Canon XF).  

Question: Does the program want/need the correct file structure as it comes straight from the camera, or can I just put an MXF in a folder?  I know Sony XDCAM player is picky about the folder structure, so maybe Canon is too.  Premiere isn't picky, so i've been doing whatever is easiest.

I can't wrap my head around why I can't "set virtual media".  I get this message: "Cannot set the selected folder as virtual media."  (there are no special characters in folder or file names)

Thank you 

Equipment: C300 Mk2 & MacBook Pro (OS 11.5.2, 32GB, i9, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 4 GB)

Announcements