cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HV20 Camcorder Camera/Record Mode shows intermittent black & white fuzzy screen

elicabeta
Apprentice

I rarely use this camcorder since owning it and most of the time it's stored in its camcorder bag until the next big special event (e.g. a wedding). It is very well taken care of and looks like new. One day I took it out to check on and playing back recorded videos on the minidv tapes were fine, clear and perfect. However, once I switch the mode to Camera/Recording mode, the screen changes to a fuzzy black & white screen, then fades into another black & white screen, then fades into a perfect color screen, and then back to fuzzy black & white screen again. The screen continually cycles like this nonstop. I tried recording a random video (see attached youtube video link: http://youtu.be/akR8OGsIEaY) to see if playing it back would be perfect and the playback video was exactly what I recorded... fuzzy black & white screen intermittently changing in and out. I again left the camcorder in storage until today when I wanted to use it for a wedding tomorrow. I searched for troubleshooting help and many people seem to suggest a head cleaner. I found one from RadioShack and ran it through the camcorder but the Camera/Record mode is still the same. What is wrong with my camcorder? I take really good care of it and rarely use it. Do I need to send it in for repair? If so, what are the steps and process for doing so? Thank you in advance.

3 REPLIES 3

BarryTheCrab
Contributor

My first guess is to press the RESET button. On my HV30 the RESET is located behind the battery and must be pressed through a small pinhole, using a pen/pin/paperclip, or some such. RESET will require you to update the time/date functions, if memory serves me correctly (and it rarely does).

@BarryTheCrab, I've actually tried that already. Someone mentioned it as a solution and it seemed easy to try so I tried it and it still didn't fix the problem. You are correct though, the reset button is located in the battery compartment, behind the battery. I have to take out the battery in order to access the reset button. I tried it again just in case, pressing the button for a long while but it's still the same. Thanks for the suggestion.

It may be time to send the camera in, or maybe put it to rest and think of upgrading. I only use my HV30 as an AV/DV converter now, and haved moved on to an HFM40, I bought one here at Canon, refurbed, great camera, great price.

I'll watch this thread, though, for updates. There is another forum, though, dedicated to the HV20-30-40. You might find some very interesting things there, and answers. I won't post the link here, but if you Google HV20-30-40, you'll find it.

Announcements