cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HR R700 will it work with a HDMI to USB 3.0 capture device

travistee999
Apprentice

I want to use it as a web cam.   It would have to work with a HDMI to USB 3.0 capture device.

For it to work it has to have HDMI out while it's on but not recording,  or it can be recording but the HDMI output has to be working.

Either way will the HDMI work under those conditions or is it only for playback of already recorded video.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Travistee999,

Thanks for your reply.

The HDMI terminal is active, whether you're recording, replaying videos or when the camcorder is powered on and idle (not recording). When using the HDMI terminal, since it replaces the camcorder's display, the display will go dark.

As for powering down, just turn off the "Auto Power Off" menu option off. To do this, touch the Home icon, then choose the "Other Settings" (Screwdriver & Hammer icon) tab, then choose "Settings" (Wrench icon). Next, choose "Auto Power Off" and set to "Off".

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Tim
Authority

travistee999, 

The VIXIA HR R700 was not developed necessarily with the function of live streaming in mind, so there aren't any real functions to enable this on the camcorder.  I've seen some folks have success with it, but I know it requires a combination of hardware and software in order to gain that functionality and unfortunately it's not something that we support directly.  We regret any inconvenience that this may cause you at this time. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I know it's not meant to be a webcam.

There is software out there to make a DSLR a webcam but I think it burns out the sensor after a while.

In the case of the R700 it would shut down if just left on and not recording, so I think I would have to leave it recording just to keep it turned on.

The question then is:  Does the HDMI output video while recording as I described?

Hi Travistee999,

Thanks for your reply.

The HDMI terminal is active, whether you're recording, replaying videos or when the camcorder is powered on and idle (not recording). When using the HDMI terminal, since it replaces the camcorder's display, the display will go dark.

As for powering down, just turn off the "Auto Power Off" menu option off. To do this, touch the Home icon, then choose the "Other Settings" (Screwdriver & Hammer icon) tab, then choose "Settings" (Wrench icon). Next, choose "Auto Power Off" and set to "Off".

Announcements