cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HF R800 - How can I use this as a webcam with my Macbook Pro?

KatKat
Apprentice

Hey everyone,

Just got my camcorder today!

I teach yoga classes and besides filming for my YouTube channel, I'd like to use it as a webcam for my ilve classes. 

Is that possible?

At the moment, I'm using my Macbook Pro with an external mic to teach thru the Zoom app, was hoping to improve picture quality. I hook my macbook to a big monitor using an HDMI cable so I can see everyone.

Anyone have any ideas?

Any help appreciated!!!

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tim
Authority

KatKat, 

The H R800 does not support being used as a web cam.  We apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause you at this time. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Probably not.  Most consumer camcorders will only send video out of the HDMI port during playback.   Professional units may have that capability.  But of course the cost is way way beyond just picking up a dedicated web cam.

Since your MacBook Pro does have a web cam in it, that'd probablly be your best best without spending on more hardware.

Finally, quick note on Zoom; especially on Macs.  That software currently has some serious security, privacy and other issues. The company still hasn't addressed many of these things even after years of first being told about them.  For example, it would often "hijack" or mess up audio in other apps such as Skype, join.me, or Microsoft Teams.   I don't know if still true, but the Zoom installer on Macs used to install stuff they shouldn't be doing.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Thanks for your input, you're right, most economical right now is probably using the macbook pro, just the quality isn't great. I've asked everyone to keep an eye on zoom software updates re: security issues, but of course that's assuming Zoom is doing it's part and addressing the problems.

Tim
Authority

KatKat, 

The H R800 does not support being used as a web cam.  We apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause you at this time. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

KatKat,

There are people live streaming with the HF R800 but I believe that it requires using a video capture device between the camcorder and your computer and the cost may not be worth it (and availability may be a problem during COVID with the increased demand and supply chain disruption).

Do a google search for HF R800 live streaming and it will provide the basics.

Canon released a firmware update to my XF 405 to allow IP streaming but I don't believe that they ever released that sort of update for the Vixia class camcorders.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

sondrad
Apprentice

GOD NEWS!  You can now use the Elgato Cam Link 4K to link your VIxia HF R800 cancorder to your laptop as a webcamera!

Looking into this, but I can not find one answewr I need. Whil using as  a WebCam with theh CamLink, does the R800 record to the internal card??

Proraso
Apprentice

Here is exactly what you need.  I have the Vixia HF R800 and I stream weekly with it.

1)  AJA U-TAP HDMI Simple USB 3.0 Powered HDMI Capture - $329 (this is the least expensive highly rated one I could find when I ordered my setup)

Amazon.com: AJA U-TAP HDMI Simple USB 3.0 Powered HDMI Capture: Electronics

2) OBS Studio - Free - used by tons of streamers, content creators, etc.

Really easy to use.  This guy has a good channel on YouTube where he talks about how to connect everything and such.  His setup is for his church, but he runs an A/V company and has great content.

Ballast Media - YouTube

Connect camera to UTAP via HDMI, connect the UTAP to your macbook via USB so you can Zoom/Stream.

The only thing I'n 100% sure about is that you want to display your macbook on a large screen TV.  There are options.....mirroring, monitor out port from the macbook, but IIRC there should be a video out port (hdmi, usb, etc) that would allow you to extend your display to a second "monitor" (aka, the TV).

I've been really impressed with the setup so far.

Hope this helps.

Announcements