cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HF R70 no longer recognized using Transfer Utility

allpridee
Apprentice

Ive Used Transfer Utility quite a bit with no issues (last time was in January 2018). I recently tried to use it and it does not see the camcorder.

I've deleted the software and reloaded it from the website.

Tried several USB ports, Two USB cords (including factory cord), and two different computers.

Camcorder is on play mode.

Tried just about anything I can think of, all with the same results.

I can see the camcorder as a hard drive on my computer and I can see the video's I took. I prefer not to get the files that way because the file names are just a number instead of the dated and time.

Anyone having or had this issue and know what to do?

3 REPLIES 3

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Allpridee,

Thank you for posting.

When connecting your camcorder to your computer, we recommend the following:

• Power is critical when transferring movies. Please ensure that your camcorder is powered by its compact power adapter.
  • If your computer is a desktop unit, we recommend selecting a USB terminal on the back of your computer. These terminals normally have a better signal and more power than USB terminals on the front of your computer.
  • If your computer is a laptop, please ensure that it's running on A.C. power.
  • When connecting your computer, we recommend against the use of a USB hub. We recommend connecting your camcorder's USB cable directly to your computer.

With your camcorder connected, as suggested above, and powered on in the playback mode, please provide an answer for each of these questions:

1. Does your computer respond at all, when the camcorder is powered on in the playback mode (i.e. beeps, windows, notifications, etc)?
  2. What do you see on your camcorder's display?
  3. Which operating system do you have on your computer?
  4. Have changes to your computer's software, hardware or the operating system since you were last able to transfer movies from your camcorder?
Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Richard,

Thanks for your response to this. 

I finally had time to play with this again and still have the issue.

I was originally having trouble recognizing the camcorder. That seems to be Ok now but i still cant use the software as it cant find any files.

I've tried each of the USB ports on the laptop, all with the same results. I've also tried this on two laptops that I have, both with same results.

Power is plugged in on both the laptop and the camera.

Response to your questions below:

1) When I plug the camera to my laptop, it does come up as a removable storage device and I can see the files, even view them. However the names are not what they would be when done with the app (Date/time).

2) When plugged in and on play mode, the camcorder screen goes black and shows USB Connection.

3) Both laptops are running windows 10; one is Home addition and one is Pro. I also have VMware that runs windows 7 Pro and have the same issue.

4) I'm not aware of any changes on either computer. There may have been automatic Microsoft updates.

I'm using the factory supplied USB cable and power supply on the camcorder.

When I run the software and hit import, I get the error "Cant Find Any File To Import To The Computer". I've tried just the card, just the internal memory, and All. I've tried Import files that have not been saved and I tried All.

I have removed the software and reloaded it; even did it again and installed as Administrator.

The other problem I get now after plugging the camera in and using the software is that there are no longer scenes on the camcorder for both the internal and the SD card. The camera says "No Scenes" in play mode. Tried turning off and On again; removing all power and reapplying it; neither worked. I can not see the files from the camcorder on the laptop but i can see them if I put the SD card directly in (a DCIM folder shows up on the SD card that is not showing on the camcorder).

The file names are all just consecutive numbers. If they were the Date/Time like it is from the software, I'd be Ok doing it that way.

Can Canon please respond to allpridee post?  For those of us that have trusted this camera, we cant get the files from the camera and they are lost.  

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements