cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HF G50 Vixia 4K video and other mode issues

t_dhawkins
Contributor

I'm not sure about my recently aquired HF G50. I am having trouble with 4K video and some of the programmed settings. 

4K recording is very stuttery as is the low lite and nite settings in HD/manual mode. I'm thinking its something to do with the write to the SD card speed but I think I have fast enough cards 128gb/170mb/s class 10 sandisk. I tried it in dual record and relay modes...same thing happens.....stuttery or buffering bahaviour. Wondering if I missed something in setup.... any suggestions out there? Thanks in advance 

ps/ I think the HD high frame rate recordings are just fine but so far I spent more time trying to figure out the disappointing 4k to log enough HD time to review completely

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I have my own update. I finally got around to using my new Canon Vixia G60. Shot over an hour's worth of 4k and 2k videos at a very busy street corner. Shot all handheld footage of tons of people walking, many cars, busses, bicyclists and others whizzing by me. My G60 performed beautifully. I am very amazing on the image quality and seeing such sharp details even when zoomed out to maximum to the other side of the street. Image stabilization is quite good shooting handheld, even at maximum focal length. I can clearly read license plate of vehicles from other side of the street. Camera has great face tracking while people were walking towards me. There was absolutely no stuttering or buffering issues whatsoever. I'm using Sandisk 128gb Extreme Pro 170MB/s SD cards in relay mode (x2 cards). So that's my short summary. Although this is my first "real" camcorder, I'm very impressed with its quality. I'm used to shooting with my Canon EOS 90D DSLR with a Canon 24-105mm f4 L I.S. USM version 2 lens, plus a Canon 17-55 f2.8 I.S. USM lens, plus a Canon 100mm f2.8 L Macro lens. Plus a Canon M50 mirrorless for my sidekick camera. So I'm used to Canon DSLR shooting, but I'm new to shooting with a Canon camcorder, which is a learning curve for me. Anyway, good luck on your repairs, hope you get your camcorder fixed.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

An authentic full size SanDisk Extremem Pro Class 10 card should be adequete.  We assume your formatted the card in the camera?

Safest bet might be to try a reset and see if the behavior follows.  If its new, you can also call Canon 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks Shadowsports. cards are new and formated...in the camera.  Just wondering if this is a common complaint here for the model.

I should shoot some more video in different lighting and transitions I may have another card as well to try ...I guess ..before waking up Canon support. 

Thanks,

Ok the votes are coming in.... I did a device reset and shot all modes of video. THis is not  performing as expected. I thought it would be a improvement on my old G40.... but this thing has issues with shutter lag or read/write ... I begining to think its shutter and it's not a broken camera. I bet.

4k is unusable

HD sucks as well.... capturing a moving object passing by or even tracking it is terrible in any mode. Whish I had my G40 back now.  So I'm off to spport to see if there is a non published patch.

Sorry to hear about your experience with the HF-G50 - it seemed like a good deal when you traded in your HF-G40.

I've read similar complaints about stuttery motion. Check out the HF-G50 reviews on Adorama's website:

https://www.adorama.com/r/cahfg50-reviews

If you are not happy with it, maybe see if you can return and exchange it for an HF-G21 - basically the same camcorder as the HF-G40 but with the smaller 3" LCD screen and minus WiFi.

IT's off to Canon Repair Service for now. Took a dozen vid clips for their review and shipped it off a few days ago. I really hope it IS defective and somethng that will be fixed because I like the camera.  

Wow, that's really too bad. What was the outcome of the repair? I'm wondering if the newer G60 model might have the same stuttering problem as the G50? Does the stuttering happen both in 4k and 2k filming?

Repairs are still in progress, no diagnosis at present. The phenomana was present in all modes and in all resolutions.Seem to be amplified somewhat in bright environments but I've seen other video od night lights that does the same thing mine was doing......G50 as I understand it has a next generation sensor so that may need a tweak. Not sure if the G60 uses the same sensor. I know my G40 and G30 did not do this. The actually took amazing video for their price range.The G50 image is awesome.... but as soon as you pan or the subject moves thats where things get painfull to watch. 🙂

Okay, thanks for the update. The G60 has a new 1" sensor that is suppose to be significantly larger than the G50 sensor, so maybe that might improve things? I just got my G60 the other day and finally started pouring through the manual to figure out menu settings. I haven't had to a chance to actually film anything yet, but will hopefully try it out later today and report back.

My current dilemma is trying to figure out how "Gain" translates to equivalent ISO exposure values, if that's possible.

I have my own update. I finally got around to using my new Canon Vixia G60. Shot over an hour's worth of 4k and 2k videos at a very busy street corner. Shot all handheld footage of tons of people walking, many cars, busses, bicyclists and others whizzing by me. My G60 performed beautifully. I am very amazing on the image quality and seeing such sharp details even when zoomed out to maximum to the other side of the street. Image stabilization is quite good shooting handheld, even at maximum focal length. I can clearly read license plate of vehicles from other side of the street. Camera has great face tracking while people were walking towards me. There was absolutely no stuttering or buffering issues whatsoever. I'm using Sandisk 128gb Extreme Pro 170MB/s SD cards in relay mode (x2 cards). So that's my short summary. Although this is my first "real" camcorder, I'm very impressed with its quality. I'm used to shooting with my Canon EOS 90D DSLR with a Canon 24-105mm f4 L I.S. USM version 2 lens, plus a Canon 17-55 f2.8 I.S. USM lens, plus a Canon 100mm f2.8 L Macro lens. Plus a Canon M50 mirrorless for my sidekick camera. So I'm used to Canon DSLR shooting, but I'm new to shooting with a Canon camcorder, which is a learning curve for me. Anyway, good luck on your repairs, hope you get your camcorder fixed.

Announcements