cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HF G30 - strange -=extreme=- focus hunting issue when turning the camera on?

zglenwright
Apprentice

Hello!  I recently purchased a HF G30 to use in my nature projects.  I recorded approximately 75 clips overnight with various subjects, but I noticed during the beginning of one of the clips, the G30 acted extremely erratic as soon as it turned on and started recording.  It zoomed in and out, distorting the frame, while making a whining noise, then completely went out of focus and zoomed all the way in before finally zooming back out again to correct itself.  All I did in this instance is turn the camera on via LANC, and hit record - I did not touch the focus or zoom controls at all.

Here is a look at the video recorded from this event to give a better look into what I'm talking about ~

> https://youtu.be/GarbEhaIJS0

EDIT: Uploaded video to wrong YouTube account, fixed URL

4 REPLIES 4

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Zglenwright,

Thanks for writing to us regarding the erratic zooming and focusing.

Does your camcorder exhibit this behavior without the LANC controller plugged in?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi Richard ~

I've only seen it do that erratic behavior during the one clip, and I've used it since then (I used it the next night in a similar setup, recorded about 40-45 seperate events) and didn't have the issue.  It was just during that one specific event - so I technically haven't seen it do that without the LANC controller, but even with the LANC controller, it's recorded about 200 separate clips without that issue manifesting.  The LANC controller itself is a motion sensing control board that sends LANC signals when it detects something, and it only sends 2 separate LANC commands, one to put the camera in standby, and one to record.

~Zach

Hi Zach,

I took a second look at the video. This is a normal focus hunt that we suspect is caused from the condensation on the lens. This can be expected when the camera is unable to lock focus on a subject.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Got you - it seemed really extreme because it was buzzing as it was focusing, and I've had cameras in the past that have had focus issues where they acted similar to this one that eventually had complete lack of focusing later on (this G30 is actually replacing a Sony camera that did just that, although that camera was in constant use for 6 years in many different setups before it malfunctioned).  There wasn't really any condensation on the lens, it was a clear morning - although an animal did sniff the lens, so that might have been what was giving it issues.  It's just a little strange, because there are another 40 events both before and after that focusing hunting recording with the same lens smudge present that didn't exhibit any bizarre focus hunting issues.  I'm going to keep testing, if I see it pop up again I'll let you know.

~Zach

Announcements