cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grey Lines appear on my film

ASuicidalBullet
Apprentice

Currently i am useing a Canon XL1S witch uses mini dv tapes. I recently went and filmed some more fottage on a tape that i preveiously used and knew was good. After i went to go upload my fotage onto my mac using a fireware to mini dv cable (Witch conected the camera directly to the mac) i found that the fottage contained grey lines takeing up almost half the shot that was not there when i was looking threw the lense filming. The lines are also on the older fotage. I Tried viewing the fotage on another camera and the lines are still there. If anyone knows if this is an issue with the camera doing this to tapes or a way to recover fotage please let me know.

1 REPLY 1

Tim
Authority
Hello ASuicidalBullet,

Based on what you describe of this issue, it sounds like the heads on the camcorder need to be cleaned.  You can do this with a dry tape head cleaner.  Typically you run it for 10-15 seconds, but directions per tape may vary so check before using.  This will clean the vide heads and ensure nothing internal is causing this.  After you clean the heads, use a different tape and continue to use tapes that are all of the same brand.  This should resolve the issue you are having.
Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements