cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G60 Video Extraction

Eafworkshop
Contributor

I just filled my first two 256gb cards on my g60, and am curious how anyone in the community might back up their files! I am currently almost an hour into transferring the video files onto an external 1tb drive and it's only at 14% complete - I'm plenty patient and this is fine but I wonder if I am doing it wrong (my fiance recently ruined my day and told me I wasn't tech savvy haha). 

I sure would like to keep backup copies of 4k videos, but I am only 6 hours into a video that will most likely be around 30 - and in the future I will definitely have videos over 200 hours. I know that sounds crazy, I am an artist and I am venturing into time-lapse footage. 

I really appreciate any help and advice! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

The Vixia HF G60 has a maximum captured bitrate of 150 Mbps (18.75 MBps).  So Each 256 GB card should hold just under four hours of footage.  A longer duration of course if you're using a lower-quallity codec.   So first question, are you recording in 150 Mbps?

Ultimately, an answer to that won't matter since a filled card will have the same amount of data no matter the codec.

So when you say it took an hour to transfer only 14% of your footage?  14% of a 256 GB card?  If so, you are transferring data at only around 10 MBps which is incredibly slow.

You'll thus need to figure out what the bottleneck is.   First, what specific memory cards are you using (brand, speed class, especially look at its read speed).   How are you then transferring your footage to your computer?  Connecting via a USB cable (maybe it's USB-1?)  What computer to you have?  What is the write-speed of your 1 TB drive?

What follows is what I have always done when considering working with video (from the SD days, to HD, now 4K).  Includes my backup solution.

I used to use a G50 which also topped out at recording 150 Mbps.  I have a SD card reader in my iMac Pro as well as one on an attached LaCie RAID (connected via Thunderbolt 3).  Data (footage) is ultimately saved to a different LaCie RAID also connected via Thunderbolt 3.  I'm using RAID 10 with 6 disks for read/write speeds of 600 MBps.    I'm using SanDisk UHS-I cards with 170 MBps max reads.   Thunderbolt 3's bandwidth is 40 GBps.   So the memory cards here are the clear bottleneck.   At the theoretical max read speed, I can transfer all data from a 256 GB card in around 26 minutes.   The 14% mark would be 4 minutes.   So this setup is 15 times faster than what you have.

This doesn't mean you need super-fast RAID drives, but you'll want to ensure that you don't have bottlenecks in your system that would cause such slow transfers.  Always best to have the bottleneck be the memory cards themselves.  That way, as better read speeds come along, you could move to such cards and keep the same computer setup.

I now use a Canon C70 and capture footage at 410 Mps (51.25 MBps).  I use AngelBird 256 GB Mark 2 UHS-II V90 cards with max read speeds of 300 MBps.   The iMac Pro thankfully has a UHS-II slot, so is able to give me maximum performance.  Here, the cards are still the bottleneck.  Transfering all 256 GB of data now takes around 15 minutes.

Finally... on backups and general data management.

Whenever I look at new video solutions, I ensure my system has enough storage and backup space to handle storing the original footage (and optimized footage such as ProRes if I'm going to transcode), final output footage, and then backups for both the original and final footage.

When I moved to the C70, I now needed 2.5 times the space to deal with the 410 Mbps codec.  Enough space on the data RAID though my backup RAID will need to be upgraded (more storage) in a couple years.

I thankfully don't record much footage per year.  Only around 5 hours (1 TB worth).   Thus, my main data RAID (12 TB RAID 10) and backup RAID (6 TB RAID 1) are ample for now.   The backup RAID currently has 3 TB free, so in a couple years, along with all the photography files, etc, that will get filled up.

In addition to the onsite RAIDs I use, I also have two 2 TB LaCie portable drives that I swap out monthly to an offsite safety deposit box.  As I increase the amount of footage, will move to 4 TB units.   Then hopefully also SSD if they can be proven to be stable long-term storage formats.  At only around 220 MBps write speed, takes hours to transfer the data currently.

All my original video footage as well as final output footage thus exists six times over.  Twice on the RAID 10 data drive (since mirrored).  Twice on the RAID 1 backup drive (since also mirrored).  Once each on the two portable drives.  One being also at home; the other being physically offsite.    This also means that at any given time, at least once copy is always offsite.  I never have both portable drives at home at the same time.

If you ultimately need storage for up to 200 hours of footage, you'll need to figure out the storage requirement.  If you only have 1 TB of space, you'd only have around 5.2 GB of storage per hour.  Which would be a codec of only 12 Mbps.  You'd need 13 TB to store a single copy of 200 hours of footage recorded to that 150 Mbps codec.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

The Vixia HF G60 has a maximum captured bitrate of 150 Mbps (18.75 MBps).  So Each 256 GB card should hold just under four hours of footage.  A longer duration of course if you're using a lower-quallity codec.   So first question, are you recording in 150 Mbps?

Ultimately, an answer to that won't matter since a filled card will have the same amount of data no matter the codec.

So when you say it took an hour to transfer only 14% of your footage?  14% of a 256 GB card?  If so, you are transferring data at only around 10 MBps which is incredibly slow.

You'll thus need to figure out what the bottleneck is.   First, what specific memory cards are you using (brand, speed class, especially look at its read speed).   How are you then transferring your footage to your computer?  Connecting via a USB cable (maybe it's USB-1?)  What computer to you have?  What is the write-speed of your 1 TB drive?

What follows is what I have always done when considering working with video (from the SD days, to HD, now 4K).  Includes my backup solution.

I used to use a G50 which also topped out at recording 150 Mbps.  I have a SD card reader in my iMac Pro as well as one on an attached LaCie RAID (connected via Thunderbolt 3).  Data (footage) is ultimately saved to a different LaCie RAID also connected via Thunderbolt 3.  I'm using RAID 10 with 6 disks for read/write speeds of 600 MBps.    I'm using SanDisk UHS-I cards with 170 MBps max reads.   Thunderbolt 3's bandwidth is 40 GBps.   So the memory cards here are the clear bottleneck.   At the theoretical max read speed, I can transfer all data from a 256 GB card in around 26 minutes.   The 14% mark would be 4 minutes.   So this setup is 15 times faster than what you have.

This doesn't mean you need super-fast RAID drives, but you'll want to ensure that you don't have bottlenecks in your system that would cause such slow transfers.  Always best to have the bottleneck be the memory cards themselves.  That way, as better read speeds come along, you could move to such cards and keep the same computer setup.

I now use a Canon C70 and capture footage at 410 Mps (51.25 MBps).  I use AngelBird 256 GB Mark 2 UHS-II V90 cards with max read speeds of 300 MBps.   The iMac Pro thankfully has a UHS-II slot, so is able to give me maximum performance.  Here, the cards are still the bottleneck.  Transfering all 256 GB of data now takes around 15 minutes.

Finally... on backups and general data management.

Whenever I look at new video solutions, I ensure my system has enough storage and backup space to handle storing the original footage (and optimized footage such as ProRes if I'm going to transcode), final output footage, and then backups for both the original and final footage.

When I moved to the C70, I now needed 2.5 times the space to deal with the 410 Mbps codec.  Enough space on the data RAID though my backup RAID will need to be upgraded (more storage) in a couple years.

I thankfully don't record much footage per year.  Only around 5 hours (1 TB worth).   Thus, my main data RAID (12 TB RAID 10) and backup RAID (6 TB RAID 1) are ample for now.   The backup RAID currently has 3 TB free, so in a couple years, along with all the photography files, etc, that will get filled up.

In addition to the onsite RAIDs I use, I also have two 2 TB LaCie portable drives that I swap out monthly to an offsite safety deposit box.  As I increase the amount of footage, will move to 4 TB units.   Then hopefully also SSD if they can be proven to be stable long-term storage formats.  At only around 220 MBps write speed, takes hours to transfer the data currently.

All my original video footage as well as final output footage thus exists six times over.  Twice on the RAID 10 data drive (since mirrored).  Twice on the RAID 1 backup drive (since also mirrored).  Once each on the two portable drives.  One being also at home; the other being physically offsite.    This also means that at any given time, at least once copy is always offsite.  I never have both portable drives at home at the same time.

If you ultimately need storage for up to 200 hours of footage, you'll need to figure out the storage requirement.  If you only have 1 TB of space, you'd only have around 5.2 GB of storage per hour.  Which would be a codec of only 12 Mbps.  You'd need 13 TB to store a single copy of 200 hours of footage recorded to that 150 Mbps codec.

--
Ricky

I am new to this community (and filming general obviously haha) and I have to say, the experience so far with the Canon community has been stellar! Thank you, Ricky, for taking the time to take me to school on this Robot Very Happy   

After reading through your post a few times, I am quite certain you have highlighted the main issues I am having. It might be easiest for me to start with my hardware bottleneck problem.

I am indeed recording in 150Mbps. It did take over an hour to get to 14% of my 256 gb card - at around 18mb/s. I am using 2 PNY SD XC V30 cards, 100mb/s read and 90mb/s write speed.  I have the card in a cheap Vivitar card reader directly into my computer, then transferring (via cut and paste, I'm not sure if I should be embarassed by that haha!) to a Western Digital 1tb external drive. I am pretty sure that the supplied cable is a standard USB-1, since I am using the 6 inch cheapie the drive was sold with. I see no markings on the drive itself for write speed, but on the manufacturer page they claim up to 1000Mb/s

My computer is actually custom built for gaming, so I don't think it would have any features similar to what you describe with your iMac as it focuses on graphics maximization. 

I clearly have a lot of research to do on this issue! Thank you again for your time explaining this to me

-Andrew

Glad that helped.  I'd first recommend then getting a better card reader.  There are many to choose from and and are quite inexpensive.  Around $20 or sometimes less.  I would think your gaming PC should have at least USB 3.0.  Maybe even USB-C?  Anyhow, there will be readers with an appropriate connection per what you have on your PC.

You can always then move to better SD cards that have higher read speeds.  But my guess is you'll get lots of bang for your buck with a new reader.

--
Ricky

Thanks again! I will definitely get a new reader. It seems I do have a USB 3.0 on my Pc, which connection that is exactly is anyone's guess haha Trial and error isn't so hard when there are only 6 options I suppose

Just an update! I did some studying on everything you sent to me, bought a higher quality external backup drive as well as a new SD card reader. Located my USB 3.0 ports (my god, if I had only known they were blue in the beginning), and I am now transferring my Mp4's from this week at 85Mbps! 

Thanks again for your help

-Andrew

Announcements