cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flip out LED screen

hobo
Contributor

Hello

Does anyone have any good suggestions for shooting in bright sun? I find the LED screen is not viewable even with backlight enabled. Its like filming blindfolded.

Vixia HF R70

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Actually I see one for 12.99 this maybe worth a try. 🙂

Thanks Rodger

View solution in original post

Iamintexas
Contributor

LCD Lens Hood.png

For my Vixia HF G40, I bought through Amazon the "Movo LH35 Deluxe LCD Hood Shade".

Its 3.5 inch hood dimensions fit those of my G40 screen. A minor negative is that the velcro closure does not fully wrap around flat on the panel, but it does stay on and it does allow finger tapping the icons.

Sadly, the Amazon user reviews missed commenting on the main purpose of the hood. They don't mention whether there was a very significant improvement in viewing. I took a chance.

For the solution I was seeking, the $13 hood failed to provide what I was hoping for. In video capturing a flying model airplane in the bright Texas sun, the improvement was not what I expected. The screen looked no different than without it. Maybe because the hood only blocks out top and sides, and not the  bottom side? Because I wear a wide brimmed hat, it helped slightly. Maybe the hood is not long enough, but then, that would impede touch-screen activity. The lens hood was in place.

For sure there is a better solution, but it would come at a price that I am not willing to invest for my casual use.

Today, I noticed that the G40 was at the "normal" brightness setting upon power up. I am thinking that maybe I should check that the setting is at it highest brightness setting to disprove that the next time out.

The G40 has been with me about 3 years, and it is a fine camera. Hopefully, in future models, Canon will allow a higher brightness setting or some other solution. For now, I gotta work with what I have.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Take a look at Amazon (or other outlets) for LCD screen sunshades and you may find something to help.  I primarily use the viewfinder of my XF400 camcorder but even with it the LCD flip out is needed for control/menu selections and it is a pain to use in bright sunlight if you need to change settings.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Thanks for the tip.My Vixia HF R70 does not have a viefinder and I tried some home made devices that did not work to well.

Has anyone tried a device from Amazon and how well does it work?

I seen some that cost maybe 45 dollars or so.  Being on a fixed income and only to find out that it does not work well would be a big disappointment.

I apreciate your feedback.

Thanks.

Actually I see one for 12.99 this maybe worth a try. 🙂

Thanks Rodger

You are welcome and I hope it helps!

I remember buying my first real smartphone many years ago with its full color screen and realizing unlike my old monocrhome Motorola cell the new one was just about invisible in the sunlight.  My current Apple isn't a whole lot better.

If it works for you I will plan on buying one before my daughter's high school soccer season in the Spring.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Iamintexas
Contributor

LCD Lens Hood.png

For my Vixia HF G40, I bought through Amazon the "Movo LH35 Deluxe LCD Hood Shade".

Its 3.5 inch hood dimensions fit those of my G40 screen. A minor negative is that the velcro closure does not fully wrap around flat on the panel, but it does stay on and it does allow finger tapping the icons.

Sadly, the Amazon user reviews missed commenting on the main purpose of the hood. They don't mention whether there was a very significant improvement in viewing. I took a chance.

For the solution I was seeking, the $13 hood failed to provide what I was hoping for. In video capturing a flying model airplane in the bright Texas sun, the improvement was not what I expected. The screen looked no different than without it. Maybe because the hood only blocks out top and sides, and not the  bottom side? Because I wear a wide brimmed hat, it helped slightly. Maybe the hood is not long enough, but then, that would impede touch-screen activity. The lens hood was in place.

For sure there is a better solution, but it would come at a price that I am not willing to invest for my casual use.

Today, I noticed that the G40 was at the "normal" brightness setting upon power up. I am thinking that maybe I should check that the setting is at it highest brightness setting to disprove that the next time out.

The G40 has been with me about 3 years, and it is a fine camera. Hopefully, in future models, Canon will allow a higher brightness setting or some other solution. For now, I gotta work with what I have.

Thank you for the detailed information. Much appreciated.

Announcements