cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External Microphone with Cannon Vixia HF R700

tara2233
Contributor

Aloha! I love the Cannon Vixia. I purchased the VidPro Lavalier microphone with it. It received rave reviews on Amazon as well as the you tube videos I watched. However the audio is just one step above the internal microphone. I set the Audio scene on Speaking, and manually set the level. Turned the microphone on. I do not know what else to do. The sound sounds tinny and very far away. Any suggestions? Thanks a million.

4 REPLIES 4

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Tara2233,

Thank you for posting.

Lavalier mics have a limited range, so the distance to the speaker's throat is an important consideration.  Have you tried adjusting the distance between your throat and the microphone?

If that's not the issue, is this an active microphone (requiring an external power source or  its own battery) or is it a passive mic?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you so much for your expert response!

The lavalier is clipped to my shirt, close to my mouth. 

It is a condenser mic with battery-I understand that it needs no other transmitter or power.

However, my understanding may be mis understood!

Not sure exactly what level the mic needs to be on, other than when I speak not to get into the red zone and not that far into the yellow.

When I switch on the mic it is the external mic that is recording the voice on the screen,  not the internal mic.

It is a VidPro Lavalier that actually is packaged with the Vixia HF R700.

I'm frustrated-I am so excited to begin expressing with it!

Thanks a million!

Hello tara2233, 

It sounds like the lavalier mic that you are using is working, so I doubt that is the issue.  This could be an issue with the microphone itself, and we'd recommend trying a different one to rule this out.  As far as sound levels go, turn them up as high as you need them really as long as you aren't continuously spiking way into the red you should be alright. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Tim YES my thought exactly, regarding the microphone. I contacted a video friend to see if he has a mic with that kind of a jack that I can test to make sure it is the mic. Just find it odd that it works..and it doesn't work. well, technology. Thanks a milion

Announcements