cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does XF400 shoot 1080P at 4:2:2 and 4K at 4:2:0?

NickMDal
Enthusiast

The manual only lists 4:2:0 while the Canon product page says there is an "OR" option suggesting both.

If yes, are these defaulted to by resolution or is there a compression option?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tim
Authority

NickMDal, 

When the XF400 is set to External Recording inside the menu, several options will become available for output only.  It is here that options for 4K 4:2:2 8 bit 59.94 and 4K 4:2:0 8 bit 29.97 exist.  1920x1080 output settings for both frame rates is 4:2:2.  

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Tim
Authority

NickMDal, 

When the XF400 is set to External Recording inside the menu, several options will become available for output only.  It is here that options for 4K 4:2:2 8 bit 59.94 and 4K 4:2:0 8 bit 29.97 exist.  1920x1080 output settings for both frame rates is 4:2:2.  

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

NickMDal
Enthusiast

Thanks for the answer.  For 1080p output to HDMI only, does the recorder have to create a file using the ProRes or DNxHR codec?

I'm guessing that none of the Canon formats (raw, xf-avc) can be produced since there is no Canon hardware on the receiving end.

NickMDal, 

The type of file created by the recorder will be dependent on the output and your specific workflow needs.  So you will want to have this set in a manner which fits your output requirements.  

Thank you for helping.  I would greatly appreciate just a little more clarification.

Since this camera does not shot in log, I am wondering what the HDMI output will look like with regard to special scene modes.  There is no option for a standard mode.  I am thinking of using 3rd party LUTs to improve the color.  What is the HDMI output like?  It isn't raw.  Is it like a 'standard' or 'faithful' scene mode?

Announcements