cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert data on micro cassettes

ddddan99
Contributor

I have a ZR20 with movies on a few dozen micro cassettes.  Is there a way to transfer the movies from the cassettes to an iMAC?  Thanks for any help.

7 REPLIES 7

Nick2020
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi ddddan99,

Thanks for checking in with us.

Since we aren't able to provide forum support for that camcorder, you may wish to contact our phone support line by calling us at (800)652-2666 on M-F from 9am-7pm EST and then select the camcorder department.

Thanks for the reply.  I keep getting relpies that send me to different areas of Canon.  But each one sends me away.  The chat capability told me this forum is the only place where I can get responses.  The phone number you indicated will not handle anything relating to this camcorder.  I guess it's just too out of date.  How about this - is there any technology that you're aware of that converts these cassettes to digital formats even if I need to buy extra equipment?

Greetings,

Here's what you need to do.  

The ZR20 has a firewire port.  You need to buy a firewire capture card.  (They are very inexpensive).  You'll use this to connect the camera to a PC or MAC.  You can capture the footage and archive it digitally.

Amazon is a great place to start.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you so much.

Is there any way to be more specific on this - sorry.  The camcorder has a small DV in/out port.

Presumably that connects to the firewire card.  I would need a cable to connect to the card and then another cable to connect the card to the iMAC.  Any idea if this Vantec card (below) would work?  

1.JPG

This cable (below) might connect the camcorder to the card

2.JPG

Then I need a cable to connect the card to the IMAC.  Is this even remotely correct or do I have this wrong.  Thanks again. 

I am here for the same reason. I think I have the correct cable, but get no sound when it comes into computer.  Did it work for you? Thank you for your help

Haven't tried anything yet.  I don't think I have specific enough info on what to get.  Combo of talking to Apple and Best Buy may do it.  The latter was helpful with running an old VCR and DVD player through my cable system and new TV.  They got me the parts that I needed and it worked.   I put this on the back burner but will post once I dig into it again. 

Announcements