cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon vixia hf r70

hobo
Contributor

Im the new kid on the block. Just got the Canon vixia hf r70 from Santa Claus.

Menus look relative easy but I don't know what the ( Powered IS ) function does?

It does light up yellow when activated, but what is the difference when it is on/off?

Any suggestions on taking low shots ( for model Race Cars ) besides laying on the ground. 🙂

Thanks

Hobo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

There is more on page 58 which describes Intelligent IS.  It appears from page 222 of the manual that Dynamic is the option you want to choose under Image Stabilizer to reduce shake when walking.  It is available only when the Zoom type is set to optical.  I hope that helps.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

VideoGeek
Mentor

Page 238 of the User Manual - Powered IS (Image Stabilization)

"With Powered IS you can make the image stabilization even more powerful.  Powered IS is most effective for shooting far-away non-moving subjects from a stationary position"

As far as low shots go you can can try a very low or short tripod.  

Here are some that might work for you:

Manfrotto MTOIXI-B PIXI Mini Tripod

Altura Photo Mini Tripod Tabletop Stand w/Soft Pistol Grip for DSLRs and Video Cameras

If you don't like either one of those then just do a search for "mini tripod"

Hello Video Geek,

Thanks for the detailed answer. Much appreciated. I think I did read this:  Powered IS is most effective for shooting far-away non-moving subjects from a stationary position" Just like you said.

My question now is, what do I need to set the menu to prevent shaking while walking? I seen some Youtube clip and the guy is practically running and the video is perfect.

Even when I just walk it looks way to shaky left right sometimes up/down.

Any help with the running/walking while filming is appreciated.

Thanks

Hobo

VideoGeek
Mentor
Did you happen to see how he was carrying the camera? Was he using some type of camera rig? Are there any anti-shake options in the menu?

Thanks again for your reply.

I cant find the YT clip now but i See at the Canon site here:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/camcorders/consumer/vixia/vixia-h...

If you scroll part way down you see this text:

SuperRange Optical Image Stabilization

Canon's sophisticated SuperRange Optical Image Stabilizer corrects camera shake quickly, so even handheld video taken at long focal lengths is sharp and steady. Providing continuous adjustment throughout the entire zoom range to correct a broad range of motion, with extra compensation applied at wide-angle focal lengths,

the Dynamic Image Stabilization system on the VIXIA HF R70 camcorder stabilizes rotational camera shake. Controlling rotational camera shake – horizontal, vertical and roll axis

helps ensure smooth, virtually distortion-free video, even when you're walking while shooting.

Super Range? Where do I find this in the menu?

Sorry to ask so much I am sure like anything else in life, things are easy if you know how. 🙂

Hobo

There is more on page 58 which describes Intelligent IS.  It appears from page 222 of the manual that Dynamic is the option you want to choose under Image Stabilizer to reduce shake when walking.  It is available only when the Zoom type is set to optical.  I hope that helps.

Thank you for all your help.
Announcements