cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon XHA1 Settings - Focus

noreasternick
Apprentice

Good Morning Everyone,

I am an on-air meteorologist with an in-home TV studio build for convenience. I do a lot of my work from home and decided it would be beneficial to have such a setup. I recently purchased an XHA1 because of the great reviews I've read. I can't figure out however WHY the focus is so soft. I've been shooting in auto or easy shoot mode and the footage is too bright and I look blury. I am in no way a camera expert, my expertise is in front of them but I come to you to ask your advice.

Is it beneficial to set up in Manual? If so can I essentially "set it and forget it?". I'm looking to have the same shot over and over again. Previously I was using a T2i which was great but I wanted a video camera for especially on-location reporting.

Can someone please help me with settings? It would be greatly appreciated! I have a green screen with a tri-point lightning system (LED)

Here's an example of what the video is looking like. https://snjtoday.com/weather/

Thank you!

1 REPLY 1

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

No one has replied, yet.  Check your instruction manual, page 35, which tells you how to set auto and manual focus modes.

XH A1 Instruction Manual Download 

The auto focus mode should not produce out of focus images.  If so, then there could be a technical problem with the unit.  Keep in mind, though, in order for auto focus to work properly, the camera needs a contrasting image to lock onto.  A green screen would provide no contrast, which could throw off the focus altogether.

However, if the focus is generally off throughout the frame and the length of the video, then it is possible that you may have it set for manual focus mode, and a simple turn of the manual focus ring could correct your problem.  Again, start on page 35.

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements