cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon XF300 No Ext mic on Ch 1

mrdizzy
Apprentice

Help! User error, maybe? Ch 1 XLR is completely dead, while the on-cam mic works fine when switched to Int. All options for XLR mic settings are greyed out (all options for Ch 2 XLR mic are working fine). Is there some master setting where I have XLR disabled on Ch 1? Under "audio input" menu, "XLR Record Channel" is set to "CH1" which is supposed to mean that both channels record independently (Ch1 on Ch1, Ch2 on Ch2)... What the heck am I missing?
P.S. Testing with same mic, which works fine as ext on Ch2 but is dead on Ch1...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi mrdizzy,

There are separate audio switches for channel 1 and channel 2. In order to record to channel 1 you will want ch1 set to EXT just above your XLR ports and you will want your input setting switch set to MIC for an XLR microphone with it's own power source or MIC+48V for a microphone that needs phantom power. Check out page 94 of the manual below for a visual of where these switches are.

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/6/0300003866/12/xf300-xf305-im13-n-en.pdf

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Tim
Authority

mrdizzy, 

We're sorry to hear of the audio difficulties.  What kind of microphone are you using on the device at this time? 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

mrdizzy
Apprentice
Various microphones, Tim. The grayed-out selections for ch1and the functional settings for ch2 all happen whether or not any microphones are plugged in.

Hi mrdizzy,

There are separate audio switches for channel 1 and channel 2. In order to record to channel 1 you will want ch1 set to EXT just above your XLR ports and you will want your input setting switch set to MIC for an XLR microphone with it's own power source or MIC+48V for a microphone that needs phantom power. Check out page 94 of the manual below for a visual of where these switches are.

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/6/0300003866/12/xf300-xf305-im13-n-en.pdf

Yep Yep Yep!
Feeling stupid and blind, but more importantly, relieved! I just did not see those switches in the front, and had convinced myself that maybe only the 305 had them. Dur!!! Yep, the mic in question requires the phantom power. I'm now good to go. Much appreciated!!!

Announcements