cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon XA20: is it better to use mp4 or avchd settings?

Clare27
Contributor

I am going to filming some projects using a Canon XA10 and a Canon XA20. All of the projects are going to be burned to DVD's, yet there is also the possibility for web use. 

I understand that the Canon XA10 only films in the AVCHD codec, while the Canon XA20 provides the option to film in both the mp4 codec and AVCHD codec. For the purposes mentioned above, should I shoot using the AVCHD codec on both cameras, or could I use AVCHD on the Canon XA10, the mp4 on the Canon XA20 ( to save storage space/render time), and still receive quality results? I will be editing with Premiere from the Adobe Creative Cloud. Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tim
Authority

Hello Clare27,

You could use either option that you mention with successful results.  You'd need to take into consideration your editing requirements and the overall footage requirements when choosing.  We would suggest however, that you pick one format and stick with it- as this will make editing much easier. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Tim
Authority

Hello Clare27,

You could use either option that you mention with successful results.  You'd need to take into consideration your editing requirements and the overall footage requirements when choosing.  We would suggest however, that you pick one format and stick with it- as this will make editing much easier. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi Tim,

Thank you for yor response. I greatly appreciate it 🙂

Announcements