cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon XA-10 doesn't recognize battery.. Only operates on AC adapter

rlouchejr
Apprentice

Canon XA-10 will not charge a video battery when attached to the Canon supplied AC adapter even though this is the normal method of charging. Camera will not operate from a Canon supplied or aftermarket video battery, even though batteries both appear at full charge and were charged directly from a wall plug in Canon battery charger.

Camera has been working all along, no problem. Recently after a shoot (that was powered by the AC adapter), I closed the viewing screen (to initiate the camera shut down) and disconnected the AC adapter immediately, failing to follow recommend procedure of waiting for the indicator light in the on/off switch on the camera to change from orange to red flashing.

Upon subsequent power-up of the camera, it will only operate on the AC adapter and does not appear to recognize any battery source. AC adapter does not appear to charge batteries even though the red indicator light is flashing on the camera while the camera power is off and the battery is loaded into position the camera.

Are we talking repair? or is there a reset to the camera software to allow the AC adapter to see the camera battery and the camera to see the battery again?

3 REPLIES 3

Mykolas
Authority

Hi rlouchejr!

Thanks for posting.

I recommend trying a new or relatively new genuine Canon battery.  If the camcorder still only powers on with the compact power adapter, the camcorder needs to be repaired.

To start the repair process, you'll need to complete a Repair Request on our website.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

daddycools
Apprentice

This just happened to me.  XA10 has been working fine for years then a while ago it would stop recording when on battery then I would start it and it would be fine.   

In the last few days when I went to charge it the red light was blinking fast all night  until the morning.   It won't charge any more.  Could this be the charging cable or is there a common issue with the XA10 breaking down like this?  

@daddycools wrote:

This just happened to me.  XA10 has been working fine for years then a while ago it would stop recording when on battery then I would start it and it would be fine.   

In the last few days when I went to charge it the red light was blinking fast all night  until the morning.   It won't charge any more.  Could this be the charging cable or is there a common issue with the XA10 breaking down like this?  

If your battery is close to five years old, or more, then you've gotten your money's worth from it.  I think it is time for new one.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements