cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VIXIA HF G40 - Zoom out problem, pleeeeeease help!

serazoo
Apprentice

Hello all,

I have a Canon Vixia HF G40, brand new, a few months use.

It has started to zoom out automatically..  randomly I zoom in on a shot,, randomly (not always) it decides to zoom out on its own. Extremely annoying, I literally (sometimes) must keep my hand on the zoom button to prevent it from zooming out... I really don't understand what the purpose is, if this is a configuration issue. Where the hell can I go or do to stop this from happenning ?

thanks

Sandra

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Mhamilton
Apprentice
After the compressed air worked, I also bought some Nexxtech (the Source) aerosol Contact Head Cleaner and sprayed it in and around rocker zoom. It has worked for me, if it stops again I’ll try doing the same, cheep fix for me. Good luck, love the Camera, but this issue........

View solution in original post

51 REPLIES 51

I appreciate your advice, Inapickle, but I paid $1000 for this camera and I expect it to work as advertised.

And just because we don't expect a recall doesn't mean we shouldn't ask for one.

If it were due to misuse or overuse, I could understand it.  But it happens so often that a local repair shop has it as it's first issue with the camera. A "bad zoom rocker switch".

And by your logic, it's okay that they've been negligent in the past, so long as they fix future models?

Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 11.13.17 AM.png

@BlankIsMyName. Don't get me wrong. Yes, I would like to know if the flaky zoom switch design has been perpetuated on the current models, because if I do upgrade to one I want to be sure that I'm not going facing this issue. But more to the point, if it has been rectified, it indicates that Canon do acknowledge that this was a design fault on the earlier models. And if they haven't rectified this fault it means that they don't care enough about their customers, because they surely know that this is a longstanding issue, yet are content to draw additional revenue from unwitting customers who are left with no other choice than to pony up for the repair only to receive back a camcorder with the same faulty zoom switch design, one assumes.

Yes, I agree entirely that Canon should be repairing affected models free-of-charge, and ideally retro-fitting an improved zoom switch  that does not suffer from these problems. That goes without saying. What I did write originally, then thought better of it, is that probably the only thing that would compel Canon to do that, and compensate those who have already paid for repair, would be a Class Action Law Suit. Is that what you are getting at by 'we should ask for one'. If not, how do you imagine a request for a 'recall' being conveyed and heard by those in a position to do something about it - a petitioned open letter to the CEO of Canon Inc perhaps? I'm just being realistic. 

Incidentally if 'bad zoom rocker switch' is the first issue that your local repair shop has with the camera, how do they make the repair ?

@BlankIsMyName wrote:

I appreciate your advice, Inapickle, but I paid $1000 for this camera and I expect it to work as advertised.

And just because we don't expect a recall doesn't mean we shouldn't ask for one.

If it were due to misuse or overuse, I could understand it.  But it happens so often that a local repair shop has it as it's first issue with the camera. A "bad zoom rocker switch".

And by your logic, it's okay that they've been negligent in the past, so long as they fix future models?

Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 11.13.17 AM.png

This is not our website. To get an estimate from Canon USA, you can go to our site at canon.us/repair 

If there are any local Authorized Service Facilities, we'll list them there, however, only the Canon Factory Service Center in Costa Mesa, California and Newport News, VA are authorized by Canon to perform repairs on this model. 

We give free estimates, and you'll usually get a general estimate right on our site prior to sending your camera to our facility.

If you have any questions about this process, you're encouraged to reach out to our US-based support team at 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666). 

Case in point. It's one thing stating that 'The problem is caused by a bad zoom rocker switch' and here's the cure....part with more money. It's another acknowledging that it's a design fault, which it surely is, and that Canon will fix it at no charge (irrespective of existing warranty status) which they should. That is the point, isn't it ? Doesn't have to be a 'recall' per se (how could that work) - simply a commitment to repair affected units at no charge. What warranty do Canon give on the rocker switch repair, out of interest ? 

I'd still like to know from Canon if this issue has been rectified on the current 4K models (HF-G50, HF-G60 specifically). Surely this is the place to ask ?

Have anyone owning any of these models encountered this issue ?

You are correct, InAPickle, a true recall would not be necessary. My wording have been more precise.

I would think a free repair would be the right thing to do.  I love the camera and would hate to lose it, but it is unusable in its current state.

This is obviously a common problem with Canon cameras and they should recognize that and do the right thing.

I have a 5D, a 7D, another Vixia, 2 GL2s, and several Elphs back in the day. But I can't see buying another at the moment.

I fully sympathize. So you purchased the HF-G40 brand new (under warranty) and the problem first appeared after one year ?

Only thing I can suggest if you don't want to send it into Canon for repair ( I assume you don't) or try your luck with that local repair shop, is selling it on EBay for 'Parts or Not Working".  I really wouldn't have another go at fixing it yourself and running the risk of completely trashing the camcorder. Might be best to leave well enough alone and get what you can for it. Sad state of affairs.

Incidentally, saw another thread addressing this issue ("XA20 Zoom Problem") and one post (by ContactJim) which seems to suggest that a LANC zoom remote control can serve as a workaround even when the rocker zoom switch has gone 'bad', quote:

"Hi thanks, on research this is a reoccuring issue with the XA line. The rocker switch on top of the body of the camera has a transducer that is not in a sealed housing, and it developes problems. I run a fabrication clean room and fixed it. For folks who have this problem, a can of compressed air might let you blow out the switch and fix it. If this does not fix it, consider a remote zoom control switch. They cost between $60 and $200. Alternatively, you can (carefully) take off 3 body panels, then you can liff off the switch housing and clean it"

Is that really the case ? If so, that might be the best solution available to you having already tried the 'compressed air' fix and taking the camcorder apart to clean the switch assembly. You could try one of the many, cheap 'Libec ZC-3DV' knock-offs available on EBay to see if it works first. Just make sure to power-off the HF-G40 before connecting and disconnecting the remote and don't touch the zoom rocker on the camcorder while you are using the remote zoom rocker.

Edit: As mentioned earlier, I use a Libec ZC-LP (upgrade of the older ZC-3DV model) - $79 at B&H:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1344165-REG/libec_zc_lp_zoom_control_for_lanc_panasonic.html

Actually in the Reviews section there's a 5 star review that caught my attention, entitled 'The solution to a flaky zoom rocker on the Canon HF G30' quote:

"...I would not have seriously considered it, but for the zoom rocker switch on my Canon HF G30 acting up (seems to be the norm, for many who own this camera)."

So maybe a workaround in your case after all, especially if you are shooting in a studio environment on a tripod ?

I know it's not your website. My point is that this is such a problem that it's this companies first item on the list of things that may go wrong with this camera. That should be telling.

If the zoom rocker is replaced, would it be upgraded, or replaced with the same type of rocker?

Mhamilton
Apprentice
Thanks for the reply:)
Announcements