cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Vixia HF R800 Save Shooting Settings

AmpedAndy
Apprentice

Is there a way to get the Canon Vixia HF R800 to save my shooting settings?

Each time the camera is shut down, the camera returns many of the functions to auto. 

This is a real pain when shooting in challenging situations where there needs to be adjustments in exposure, frame rate, white balance, etc. 

I'd like to be able to set the camera for the conditions I'm shooting in, and not have to keep it powered on in order to save all of the settings from one shot to the next. 

9 REPLIES 9

Tim
Authority

AmpedAndy, 

At this time there is no method to save the camera shooting settings in camera.  We regret any inconvenience that this may cause you at this time. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Wow! This is a game changer for me. I purchased this so I can have a simple setup for my wife live stream but if it cannot retain the custom settings it will probably be returned. Why would Canon think that someone would want to painstakingly custom their shooting settings everytime the cam shuts off. Does Canon make a cam that does retain custom settings?

That's very dissapointing. 

Is this the standard across all Canon camcorders?

I'm in the market to upgrade to a 4k camera. If all Canon cameras lack this useability feature, I'll have to drop Canon from my consideration. 

AmpedAndy, 

Saving settings to a swappable media card is a function of professional models.  Models such as the EOS 1DX Mark II, EOS C300 Mark II and XF series of camcorders have this feature.  

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

njcofc
Apprentice

Hello, 

I have changed the recording speed to 17Mbps and the recordings are still being separated into 2 files. Even though the total running time is less than 1hour.  This is very didappointing becuase it takes place in the middle of a lesson or other acts of worship that were trying to send to shut-ins and current COVID stay & shelter circumstances.

Can you please help me?  

njcofc, 

On these models when the recording time reached 29m 59sec it will make a new clip.  Or, if the file size reaches 4GB in size.  There is no manner around this, unfortunately, and the video should be able to merged into one clip without any issues.  

Tim, 

Yes, you definately answered my question.  And it merges seamlessly,  BUT unfortunately the processing is VERY SLOW (even on the lower frames speed such as 17Mbps).

The manual says if you set shooting speed below 35Mbps you have an hour of recording.  Is that referring to the camera storage space without an additional SD card?

Thanks again,

Jeff

BWYankee
Apprentice
Hi AmpedAndy,

This ship has probably sailed since you posted the thread a long time ago, but I found a partial solution, because I had the exact same question.

I was hoping to find a way to keep the camera on manual focus even after powering off. I knew it was possible because I have a fleet of these things I'm in charge of at my job, and one of them has been able to maintain manual focus after powering off.

Apparently it's slaved to the "Auto Power Off" setting. Make sure you disable auto power off, and it will keep more of your shooting settings even after a power cycle. That's what I found out for preserving manual focus anyway.

Hope that helps anyone who may have the same concern!

Thanks,

this is also true for the older Vixia HF200.  No where in the manual does it explain how to save settings.

Announcements