cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Vixia HF G20 Blurry Focus when Zooming

amywe
Apprentice

I filme outdoors in low and bright light so I've been using the Autofocus.  However when i zoom in and out the pic is blurry until I stop the zoom for the camere to refocus.  Any setting suggestions to make the zoom/focus a smooth transition? Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The G20 like my G40 has an Instant Auto Focus mode. Try setting it to this. I have this on by default and never have focussing problems.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
EOS C100 mk2 with the Canon EF-S 18-135mm IS STM lens - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n - Dell 8700 i7-4790 3.6Ghz, 24GB Ram, Win 10, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB - DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.5 - Blackmagic Speed Editor - Presonus Faderport 1

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

I am not familiar with this Vixia model but some of the camcorders, like my XF400, allow customization via a menu where you can select from 3 different AF speeds and also three levels of AF responsiveness.  See if there is a Setup Menu section in your manual and see whether it allows you to change the AF speed and responsiveness settings.

Depending how the zoom system is implemented in your model the AF may behave differently as you get into the digital vs optical zoom area.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

The G20 like my G40 has an Instant Auto Focus mode. Try setting it to this. I have this on by default and never have focussing problems.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
EOS C100 mk2 with the Canon EF-S 18-135mm IS STM lens - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n - Dell 8700 i7-4790 3.6Ghz, 24GB Ram, Win 10, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB - DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.5 - Blackmagic Speed Editor - Presonus Faderport 1

Thank you for the reply! I reset my camera and set it to Autofocus.  It is better.  I think it might be a digital/optical thing too.  I have the camera on a 20ft tripod. And i notice as the lighting lowers that focus gets worse.  I'm attaching an example video of what I'm talking about.  If you have any other sugggestions, I'll greatly appreciate it.  But it maybe the best I can get with this camera.

If you are trying to cover around half the field at once like you do in that video segment then you might consider using manual focus fixed in the area of interest and setting up for as much depth of field as possible rather than tracking anything and depending upon auto focus likely ending up with what you want out of focus.  I shoot primarily stills but I know someone is also using a G20 on a large tripod to shoot high school soccer and I will find out what settings he uses when I see him next.

I experimented with shooting some video this past summer during a friendly but I was primarily tracking my daughter so fast AF worked fine however I was set up for good depth of field.  Here is a short clip from that event (shot with a Canon XF400); video is definitely not my forte and I had only had the camera for less than 24 hours prior and the learning curve is somewhat steep.  https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AoxbUqGolMi-qnMZjHl7mk4gIsO3Nhtt

Rodger 

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@amywe wrote:

Thank you for the reply! I reset my camera and set it to Autofocus.  It is better.  I think it might be a digital/optical thing too.  I have the camera on a 20ft tripod. And i notice as the lighting lowers that focus gets worse.  I'm attaching an example video of what I'm talking about.  If you have any other sugggestions, I'll greatly appreciate it.  But it maybe the best I can get with this camera.

What tripod are you using? What is your set-up with monitor and such? Looking into something like you are using.

Thanks.

@IamintheUK wrote:

I was just going to post regarding something like this with my G40.  Totally new and videoing.  Just used the auto setting while filming my son's three lacrosse games.  Filmed on turf in the sun.  Struggled sometimes to get focused.  Can you direct me to where in the manual it talks about this?  Perhaps someone knows of other tweaks that can be made to avoid the foucsing issues.  Other than that, i was pleased with the performance.

Where is the instant autofocus mode?

On the touchscreen select Function then Menu. Scroll down under the 1st tab to AF Mode, touch the arrow and select it there.

I would suggest you spend some time getting to know the manual modes as they make the camera extremely versatile. I always use my G40 in manual mode, Only the focus is set to Instant Auto Focus.

@IamintheUK wrote:

On the touchscreen select Function then Menu. Scroll down under the 1st tab to AF Mode, touch the arrow and select it there.

I would suggest you spend some time getting to know the manual modes as they make the camera extremely versatile. I always use my G40 in manual mode, Only the focus is set to Instant Auto Focus.

How do you suggest I 'play' with it?  Do you know of any books or videos I can watch regarding this?  Again, I am totally new to this and would appreciate and direction that you could point me in.

Thanks,

Chuck

There are some tutorials on YouTube covering various functions, some of which are shared with the G20 & G30. Also spend some time going through the manual and experiment with the various settings. The G40 is a great camera. You just need to practice the various setting and get to know what they do. I've had my two years and bought it because of the manual features that are available if you wish to use them.

Announcements