cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon VIXIA HF G30 Zoom toggle switch problems

vid12
Contributor

Hello group

I have a Canon VIXIA HF G30 that I purchased in February 2015.  It just recently developed a zoom toggle switch problem .  Occasionally I'll zoom in or out on a target and release the toggle switch and the camera will continue to zoom in or out a little bit.  Has anyone heard or familiar with this problem and if so is there anything I can do on my own?

Furthermore I got an estimate from Canon today and they want $425 for a new toggle switch.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Don't get the toggle switch on your camera fixed.  I went to Canon technical repair in New Jersey and spoke to them personally.  They told me that the cameras toggle switch can be bypassed by using a external zoom.  This is what I purchased. Manfrotto MVR901ECPL.  This exterior toggle switch works absolutely perfect.  Do yourself a favor and follow my good advice purchase it. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

This question might be best posted in the camcorder forum.

It sounds like you have a dirty, or sticky, switch.  It either needs cleaning, which may be near impossible depending upon on how the switch is made, or a complete replacement. 

How do you store the camera?  Has it been exposed to dirt, humidity, dust, or some other airborne contaminent?  Dirty fingers?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

You hit the nail right on the head.  I video horse shows and as you can imagine there is a lot of dust in the air.  That's why I'm just using an $1100 camera opposed to $5000 camera.

It just strikes me funny that the switch would go so soon.

Not sure how I get to the camcorder section, could you please tell me?

Thank you for your reply!!

Forget it now I see camcorders at the top of the screen.  Stupid me how did I not see that before.

@vid12 wrote:

You hit the nail right on the head.  I video horse shows and as you can imagine there is a lot of dust in the air.  That's why I'm just using an $1100 camera opposed to $5000 camera.

It just strikes me funny that the switch would go so soon.

Not sure how I get to the camcorder section, could you please tell me?

Thank you for your reply!!

Forget it now I see camcorders at the top of the screen.  Stupid me how did I not see that before.

Yeah, but, the $5000 camera is likely to have a body sealed against dust and humidity.  Likewise, for lenses it could use.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

yyazz
Contributor

I don't visit horse shows but have the same problem and after 3 year for the second time !!! Bad Switch or even bad camera. First time warrenty second time I am very angry because i have to pay of throw it away .... after 3 years !!! Once again Bad service and bad camera.

Don't get the toggle switch on your camera fixed.  I went to Canon technical repair in New Jersey and spoke to them personally.  They told me that the cameras toggle switch can be bypassed by using a external zoom.  This is what I purchased. Manfrotto MVR901ECPL.  This exterior toggle switch works absolutely perfect.  Do yourself a favor and follow my good advice purchase it. 

JtTheWoodworker
Apprentice

Bought my G40 a couple years ago. Been suffering with random zooms ever since. Purchased an external LANC control for zoom. Problem still there. The camera zooms out when it wants to. No stopping it. Pitiful when videoing important events.

Stay away from Canon video cameras I guess.

Very disappointed.

Will try the air/cleaner trick, but this shouldn't happen with a $1200 camera so soon.

All videoing indoors. Camera kept in dust-free case when not in use. Use about 5 times / year. So within about 10 uses, problem shows up. Arg...

Announcements