cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon VIXIA HF G30 HD Camcorder, worth it?

biberwoke95
Apprentice

I'm at a crossroads right now. Do I spend about $500 upgrading my DSLR (lens, mic, rig), or finally make the splurge for a camcorder? 1080p/60p is really appealing, and I've found multiple sites offering it for about $1200.

I've been checking out countless buyer's guides, so I thought I'd check here too. I can't see myself spending too much more than that, however if something is that much better for only a few hundred dollars more I'd consider it.

I mostly shoot football games, although not in a traditional sense. I work in football recruiting so I normally just follow one player around with a tight frame. My DSLR has gotten the job done, although it's less than ideal and time to upgrade.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

You must be considering used or second hand?  $500 isn't going to get you much in DSLR upgrades and the G30 was discontinued log ago.

Before we could make any recommendation from a upgrade perspective, we would need to know what you had now.

B&H has the G50 for $999 today  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

I am not a fan of DSLRs for video; way too many limitations and they were never designed for video.

A camcorder or cinema camera would be far better.   I would avoid the G30 and even G40.  The sensors on those do not use oversampling for HD footage, so you'll have aliasing.   I own the G50 and am very happy with it.   It produces very nice oversampled HD footage and can also do 4K in decent bitrates.   Though I do miss having full control over the built-in NDs like I had with an earlier pro camcorder from another brand.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements