cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon HG10 camcorder internal battery

guitarpicker7
Contributor

Hello!

I'm a Newbie here and I LOVE my Canon HG10 HDD camcorders!

I  have been using them for about 12-15 years (I'm old and don't remember exactly when I started) recording just about anywhere I can get permission...

3 of them have internal battery issues (the rechargable lithiums that keep the settings and the clock alive are dead)

4 appeals to Canon service brought no response.

I'm really getting tired of wasting 20 minutes of setup time poking buttons to input my preferences! 

I'm an experienced tech and not afraid to open up my stuff (I upgraded the HDD in 2 of my HGs = EZ2Do), but I learned the hard way, a long time ago, having some direction beforehand is a good thing.

Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated!

Thank You!  Stay Safe!  Stop inhaling... 😉 

-charley, lower left corner of OHIO

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Not sure what to say, unfortunately.  Those units were released around 13 years ago, so not surprising that the internal batteries will no longer hold any charge.   I cannot speak for Canon, but there may be some limit as to what electronics they will still be able to service.  Limit as in x number of years after a particular model is released.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Not sure what to say, unfortunately.  Those units were released around 13 years ago, so not surprising that the internal batteries will no longer hold any charge.   I cannot speak for Canon, but there may be some limit as to what electronics they will still be able to service.  Limit as in x number of years after a particular model is released.

--
Ricky

Thank you!

In my original post, I didn't do the arithmetic right = I should have said about 15 years!

I am sure you are right!

The internal Li battery won't/didn't live forever. When I swapped out the 20GB HDDs for 60GB, I didn't see anything that looked like a battery cell or even a huge MFD, low-voltage capacitor.
The owner's manual tells how to charge the internal batt- turn the camera off, remove the external battery, plug in the external power supply, wait 24 hours = EZ enuff. This would indicate that the internal battery is being trickle-charged by a very simple circuit - probably just a current limiting resister in series with the battery.
Since we aren't going anywhere for awhile, I'm trying to make a dent in my to-do list. This one is about #8. If the weather gets better so I can get outside, without sinking into the mud, it will move down to #21!
Lucky me... 😉 
All my best to you and yours!
Thanks again for your comments and fast response!
-charley

It's been many many years since I've done any electronics work.  But I believe as you noted, that the battery wouldn't be a standard off-the-shelf user-replacable cell.

Regards to you and your family as well!

--
Ricky

Most in-circuit batteries can be safely substituted with replacements of similar voltage and current capacity. For me, right now, it's just a matter of locating and identifying the actual, physical part. I wade thru tons of HG10 data and opinions but I find nothing substantial in my area of interest. FYI: I despise those who charge inflated fees for the data I require! I am very disappointed that CANON still clings to that same, long out-of-date information! It is what it is! 😉 thank you, again! Enjoyed the chat! 😉

Tjoernfelt
Apprentice

Hello guitarpicker7

Did You finally locate the battery. I've found it soldered to the circuit board in the bottom of the camera. At this very moment, I'm trying to recharge is, as You've described. It's my second HG10, as the flip out screen crashed on the first. I broke a connector in a attempt to replace, and unfortunately before saving recordings. The battery in the first camera still holds power after 6 years. I do not like the idea of replacing it with the circuit board in place, but am even more a

20240120_210732.jpg

fraid of taking it appart.

I apologize for taking so long to respond- 
I'm glad you shared the photo and you are correct- I found a place that charges $120 to change the B/U battery! I now have 11 HG10s, all of them have bad B/U batteries. I should say HAD... it's a quick fix and you will need some soldering skills, but soldering is easy and a talent quickly learned. I used the "pre-tinned connecter" routine and just a touch of the soldering iron secured the replacement battery in place. 
Hint- On my first try, I took photos after each step, no matter how small or insignificant it seemed.
It made a wonderful reference when I was putting it back together... 
My NEXT adventure into HG10 Land is fixing sloppy zoom switch rockers! Stay tuned -----

seuni
Apprentice

Hi Charley,

I was searching for some info on the HG10 batteries since I finally found the charger for it, but I'm worried the lithium battery is fully discharged since it's been several years since it's been used. If this message gets to you, would you have the time to share your experience on working on the batteries?

I have had little concern about my battery packs. But when I changed it, I lost time and date. As I still had my first HG10, with the defective side screen, lying around, I chose to remove the internal battery for the fix. It was an easy task, done not taking the camera more apart than in picture. I don't know the type of battery, since the connectors are placed covering that detail. I charge the battery packs sitting on the camera. I'm not sure, they are up to full capacity now (or will be again)

Announcements