cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon HFG20 blue bluish tint

vickie_v
Apprentice

I've had my camera for a few years, I shoot youtube videos in the same space every time.
Lately some of the videos have a blue cast tint to them.

It doesn't happen consitently only on some videos.

All videos are shot in the exact same environment.

The first time it happened, I turned it off and back on and it was back to normal.

Is there a explination for this, or is the camera just going bad?

Is it something that needs to be repaired? If so, is it worth fixing?

Is there anything I can try, it seems unlikey to be any of the settings as I have been shooting the same videos for years (approx 3-4 years with this camera)

thanks

10 REPLIES 10

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

How are you setting your white balance? Are you shooting with some new lighting equipment?

no I have not changing settings...unless I did it inadvertently...the lighting everything is the same...and it's not on every video just sometimes.

If something is going on the camera, what would it be?

But are you using Custom White Balance, Auto White Balance or one of the preset W/B settings?

Hi Vickie_v,

I mentioned "gain" in error.

The setting that would have been changed is the "white balance" setting.  This is a setting that would be difficult to accidentally change, and since the effect doesn't occur with every movie you shoot, you'd have to be changing it back and forth.

Since the type and amount of light is consistent, from shot to shot, the only thing that may change is your subject and scene. When you take your shots, does the color, texture or reflectivity of your scene or subject change?

Also, when this effect occurs, do you see it in the viewfinder or display, as you're shooting?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

it looked blue in the view finder.

no that you mention it, I'm not even sure if it looked blue in the actual video - I shoot 12 at a time and upload them to youtube...I generally don't go back and watch them...I would have to atch all 12 to know for sure...aaaarrgh

@vickie_v wrote:

it looked blue in the view finder.

no that you mention it, I'm not even sure if it looked blue in the actual video - I shoot 12 at a time and upload them to youtube...I generally don't go back and watch them...I would have to atch all 12 to know for sure...aaaarrgh

Well I think we're now at the point where we have to get down to brass tacks.

Can you post a link to one of the YouTube videos? Preferably one that has the blue tint to it.

Are you shooting with daylight? What time of day? Cloudy, overcast, open shade, direct sunlight? Are you using artificial lighting? Incandescent, fluorescent, LED, halogen? Are you using more than one type of lighting in a given scene? Mixed lighting sources can be a PITA for still shooting.

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Vickie_v,

Thank you for posting.

I believe that BurnUnit is on the right path. If you're shooting in the same environment, that includes the same lighting, the only thing that would change coloring in your camcorder's "gain" (Called ISO in still image cameras) setting.

Have you changed your camcorder's gain setting?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

@Richard wrote:

Hi Vickie_v,

Thank you for posting.

I believe that BurnUnit is on the right path. If you're shooting in the same environment, that includes the same lighting, the only thing that would change coloring in your camcorder's "gain" (Called ISO in still image cameras) setting.

Have you changed your camcorder's gain setting?

Just to make sure I'm understanding you correctly...

Are you saying that increases in the gain (ISO) setting are likely to affect the W/B or cause a color shift? I'm  more familiar with still photography than video and would expect increased gain to introduce grain or artifacting. But I wouldn't have looked at that so much for a color shift or white balance issue.

Hi BurnUnit,

You're correct!

The correct setting is the white balance setting, not gain.

Good catch!

Announcements