cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon HF R42 Microphone Buzzes When Plugged In

alcomey
Apprentice

I recently purchased the Canon HF R42 and noticed that when I plug in the camera, with the power cord it came with, and use an external microphone of any kind that there is a loud buzzing noise that is generated.

I have tried AudioTechnica ATR-3350 and Rode VideoMic Pro external mics. 

I have plugged the camera into the wall directly, through a surge protector, etc. and it still generates the buzzing sound.

If the camera runs just on the battery, then there is not an issue.

Is there a problem with the camera, the power adapter, power jack, or mic jack, or is there a solution for this problem?

Thank you,

AL

7 REPLIES 7

Mykolas
Authority

Hi alcomey!

Thanks for posting.

This may be related to the AC power source.  Try taking the camorder to another outlet in the same location and a completely different location. 

1. Do you still hear the same noise? 
  2. Do you also hear the same noise using the internal mic in the same and other locations?

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Can I chime in? This happens on my Vixia HF R400 too and it happened in two different locations (two different buildings, miles apart). AC = buzz and batter none. I have turned off the ACG and set the audio to manual.

So, the answer from Audio-Technica is to point me to a video produced by someone who uses the mic. Bottom line, yes it is the AC line because it's a "light circuit" and the answer is to never plug in the camera (use battery only) while using the mic.

I wrote in my original note that I can't do that because the videos I shoot are too long to rely on battery.

The end of the video says in essence: it's a cheap mic so suck it up. A-T offered no alternatives so I will have to find another option. Not an Audio-Technica option. I'm curious of Rode told you tough luck as well.

I have found the same thing to be true.

If it is not plugged in, then I have no issue.

Even with the Rode Videomic Pro I have the same issue if it is plugged in.

I have tried altering the various microphone settings, changed it to manual, to no avail.

I bought two extra batteries to try and deal with the situatuion, but not too crazy about it.

quadra
Apprentice

Has anyone every figured out how to recsolve this issue. I just bought the Canon Vixia hf G20 for livestreaming. I cannot be using batteries when going live. I obviosuly cannot have that horrible buzz either. Tried a 100 different configurations and am in agreement. It is directly related to the ac being plugged in. Will need to retuan the camera asap if not resolved. Any help woulb be GREATLY appreciated.  Thanks, Paul

Have you tried not plugging the camera directly into a wall outlet, but through a line filter.  You might try using an UPS, Uninterruptible Power Source, that are typically used for computer power.  They typically include line filters, and you could probably get a few hours of use from one when it is fully charged, and not plugged into an AC wall outlet.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks Waddizle. I will try the line filter. Thanks again.

Announcements