cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon HF G40 - remove clip length limits

missionpoint
Contributor

We're using our new Canon HF G40 to record the sermons at our church. We are recording in 1920 X 1080 29fps. We are using a high speed 64 gb memory card. At about 30-35 minutes the camera starts a new clip. The sermons are typically about 40-45 minutes. Because of the camera splitting video into 2 clips, we have to import them into video editing software to combine them into one video before I can upload it online. Is there a setting that I'm missing in the camera that would allow me to remove the clip length limit? The memory has plenty of room so that's not causing the limit. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

26 REPLIES 26

iyfoto
Apprentice
The Canon Rep I just spoke with said that as long as you keep your recording in the wrapper and import it directly into your editing program, and that you did not turn off the video during filming, your recording will be continuous.

What does it mean keep the recording in the wrapper

Penniwinkle
Apprentice

We just bought a brand new video recorder camera to record a 90 minute presentation and my partner didn't notice it turned itself off after 15 mintues.

Why?  And HOW to work around?  A 64 gb chip is worthless if it only records for 15 minutes.

dpsaiz
Enthusiast

I noticed the same thing on my GoPro Hero. I called GoPro about this very issue. They told me they purposely limit the size of a video. In the event that the file is corrupted you won't lose the entire file. You'll have the remainder of your video files to work with.

What I would like to see is a pause button on the camcorder. When I need to have a pause in the recording the only way to do so is to stop recording.

My Google Pixel camera has a pause button so I can pause to reframe my shots or or change locations and everything is on one file.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Thanks for posting.  This thread hasn't seen any activity in 2 yrs and is 6yrs old.  If you have a Canon product and would like assistance, please start a new thread with information about your Canon product and the problem or issue you are experiencing.  If you want to make a feature request, you can do so under [+]Feedback > Product found at the top of the Canon USA Website.

Thanks in advance.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Why not lock old post so that replies are not possible.

We don't lock threads in case someone like you has an issue and needs help. It is, in fact, easier to find useful information on existing threads, rather than to post a whole new thread on the same issue. 

(In other words, you're good 😉)

Announcements