cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Elura 100 (3 red blinks per second)

konsole
Apprentice

The charge indicator on my Canon Elura 100 will blink red 3 times per second.  I found this unit not too long ago and it didnt come with anything.  So I had to try using some AC adapters that I had, but none of the adapters are 8.4V like the camcorder is suppose to use.  Above 8.4V and the camcorder will turn on and function just fine.  Below 8.4V and the unit will only turn on briefly.  However, when the camcorder is plugged in and turned off so the battery is suppose to charge, the charge indicator just blinks red 3 times per second.  On a replacement battery I get the same thing, 3 red blinks per second.  The replacement battery has a small charge left and it operates the camcorder with its remaining charge.

AC adapters arent complicated and the ones I have are likely just fine, but my guess would be that they have to be exactly 8.4V to charge the battery when the battery is in the camcorder.  Since the camcorder operates just fine on AC adapters rated higher then 8.4V, then my guess would be that the camcorder has a range of what voltages it will operate on with a bias to higher voltages, but the battery needs exactly or very close to 8.4V to charge.

I could just buy a separate battery charger, but I want to see if I can get the battery to charge when its in the camcorder.

Does the AC adapter have to be exactly 8.4V to charge the battery when the battery is in the camcorder?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I got the 8.4v - 1.5amp AC adapter today and its charging both batteries. Goes from 1 blink per second indicating low charge, then 2 blinks per second indicating higher charge, then finally a solid red light indicating full charge. Its still charging the extra battery, but the original battery charged up to 100%. Looks like a properly rated AC adapter was what I needed.  With such a specifc voltage rating of 8.4v I would guess that it needs to be exactly that to charge the battery, but I'm not sure how exact the amperage rating needs to be.  Maybe the battery would charge with a 0.5amp adapter, but just very slow, and maybe it would charge with a 2amp adapter, but maybe too fast that it could damage the battery.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

VideoGeek
Mentor

You might try looking for a CA-570 Compact Power Adapter - You should be able to find one on Amazon for a reasonable price.  That charger will allow you to charge the battery on camera.

I have an AC adapter arriving in the mail either today or tomorrow and its suppose to fit the jack on the Canon Elura 100 and its rated at 8.4v - 1500mA max. Hopefully it will work.  I wish I knew about this CA-570 number before I bought this other adapter.

What does the Elura 100 need?  8.4v and 1.2amps?

My guess would be that based on the adapters I have tried and the ratings of the adapters that are "claimed" to be compatible.  The adapter needs to be rated 8.4v, but the amperage rating just needs to meet a minimum (which apparently is 1.2amps ?)

Of the other adapters I have tried that fit the Elura's jack relatively well, some are rated above 8.4v and others rated below 8.4v, but they all are rated way below 1.2amps.  The only adapter I have that powers the camcorder continously is the adapter with the highest amperage rating of 1amp, even though it has a voltage rating of 12v.  Hopefully the 8.4v and 1.2amps+ is what the adapter needs to be to charge the battery, because even though the best working adapter I have will power the camcorder, it wont charge the battery.  Fingers crossed that there isnt an internal problem with the charging system in the camera.

I got the 8.4v - 1.5amp AC adapter today and its charging both batteries. Goes from 1 blink per second indicating low charge, then 2 blinks per second indicating higher charge, then finally a solid red light indicating full charge. Its still charging the extra battery, but the original battery charged up to 100%. Looks like a properly rated AC adapter was what I needed.  With such a specifc voltage rating of 8.4v I would guess that it needs to be exactly that to charge the battery, but I'm not sure how exact the amperage rating needs to be.  Maybe the battery would charge with a 0.5amp adapter, but just very slow, and maybe it would charge with a 2amp adapter, but maybe too fast that it could damage the battery.

Good to hear the batteries are charging.  Thank you for the update.

Announcements