cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Camcorder VIXIA HFR800

jimblair
Contributor

I am having problems transferring video from my camcorder VIXIA HFR800 to my PC.  I am using Windows 7 and just saw something on line where Windows 7 does not support transferring video.  Is there a way I can still copy video from my camcorder to my PC?

14 REPLIES 14

jimblair
Contributor
I have a Canon camcorder vixia hfr800. Can anyone tell me how when I import a file to my PC how I can save that file using Canon Camera Window to my PC

jimblair
Contributor
Do you have any idea how long a video I can record with a 64gb SD card before it splits the file recording at 35 Mbps?

jaqueclarke
Contributor

I'm running W-7 too, and don't have any major issues putting files onto my HD and/or external devices like USB thumb drives.

I pull the SD card out of the camera (some people like to use the jumper cable), put it in the card slot in the 'puter and open it in the Explorer.  If I don't have a receptical file I create one where I want to store my images, and after opening the DSIM folder on the card go to the folder that the camera assigns to your shoot (Typically arranged by date), open that to view your files (clips/sessions).  They should show a *.MP4 file extension at the end. 

With your recieving folder over on the left margin, click on your video file and drag it over, then drop it into your new folder.

Presto!; Video saved!

My video files have been using up massive amounts of data - 35 min. of video = 4.3+ GB!!!

If you're saving to a thumb drive make sure it has lots of data space or you'll pack it full in no time.

Another thing I do is re name the file and folders so I can later ID what they are, leaving the date code on the end.

When uploading to You Tube I just load directly off of the SD card.  It would be better if I could edit the file first so it doesn't take 6 hours to upload a video, but I have yet to find an editing program I can wrap my head around sufficiently to do anything with it.

jimblair
Contributor
Thanks for the response. When I record at 35 Mbp I can only get 15 minutes recording time before it starts creating another file. Is there a way to extend the recording time without creating another file after which I will have to somehow edit the files together to make my video available to upload to Youtube

Hi Jimblair,

Thank you for posting.

Your camcorder will create multiple files when it records a scene, whose file size exceeds 4 GB.  In this case, 15 minutes is the time limit for a single video file, recorded at at 35 Mbps.

The file size is limited by the file system the camcorder uses.  While this system allows you to transfer images and movies between multiple, and sometimes incompatible systems, it does restrict file sizes.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements