cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Select Internal Memory on Vixia HF 600

JHAstrello
Apprentice

I have some recorded video's on my 'internal memory'. Now that I've inserted and formatted an external memory card, I cannot get back to internal memory to download them.

I have followed the 'instructions' in the manual, but once I get to Recording options, there is no place on the menu/options to change to internal memory.

Really need an 'assist' on this, for it is frustrating me to no end.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Mykolas
Authority

Hi JHAstrello!

Thanks for posting.

The VIXIA HF R600 does not have an internal storage for video recording.  Any video you recorded previously would have been recorded to an external memory card.  Any video you attempted to record without a memory card in the camcorder would not have been recorded.

If you were using another memory card before, simply put that back in the camcorder to access the video recorded on it. 

If it is the same memory card as the one you have now, initializing the card erases its contents.  If this is what happened, you may be able to recover the contents of the card with special data recovery software.  Canon does not make this software, but it is widely available.  You may want to contact the manufacturer of the memory card you have for more information.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

Your answer certainly helps me understand what has likely happened. However, I'm curious as to why in the Product/User manual, it discusses Internal vs Card Memory and shows the steps to take to change between memory. However, I'm not that knowledable in this unit nor familar enough with it to challenge what you are saying. I'm guessing that I did exactly what you noted - I initialized the card (I know that I did that), and likely wiped out what had been recorded. Oh well, live and learn.

While I want to say that I'm almost 100% certain, that I have recorded without a memory card in it (the unit doesn't come with one in it - I bought them after the fact). However, I certainly couldn't swear to that. My bad.

I will comment further though. My personal experience with this Camcorder is twofold. The quality of the recording and the overall small footprint/design of it I'm happy with.

The user interface on the touch screen is simply terrible.

The lack of an IR Remote function is ridiculous.

There is not any type of working software that can be found to make my Samsung G4 work as a wireless interface. The company hired to write and support the 3rd party software (Pixela I believe) - is simply terrible.

In short, this will be my last Canon purchase based upon the experience that I've had. I am buying a second Camcorder to shoot video's with that has a better interface and a remote. The Vixia will be relagated to my 'backup and secondary view' camcorder (while recording two video streams that will be combined into one) that I only have to setup and use once and will not have to rely on zooming.

I do thank you for the reply.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Mykolas
Authority

Hi JHAstrello!

Thanks for posting.

The VIXIA HF R600 does not have an internal storage for video recording.  Any video you recorded previously would have been recorded to an external memory card.  Any video you attempted to record without a memory card in the camcorder would not have been recorded.

If you were using another memory card before, simply put that back in the camcorder to access the video recorded on it. 

If it is the same memory card as the one you have now, initializing the card erases its contents.  If this is what happened, you may be able to recover the contents of the card with special data recovery software.  Canon does not make this software, but it is widely available.  You may want to contact the manufacturer of the memory card you have for more information.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Your answer certainly helps me understand what has likely happened. However, I'm curious as to why in the Product/User manual, it discusses Internal vs Card Memory and shows the steps to take to change between memory. However, I'm not that knowledable in this unit nor familar enough with it to challenge what you are saying. I'm guessing that I did exactly what you noted - I initialized the card (I know that I did that), and likely wiped out what had been recorded. Oh well, live and learn.

While I want to say that I'm almost 100% certain, that I have recorded without a memory card in it (the unit doesn't come with one in it - I bought them after the fact). However, I certainly couldn't swear to that. My bad.

I will comment further though. My personal experience with this Camcorder is twofold. The quality of the recording and the overall small footprint/design of it I'm happy with.

The user interface on the touch screen is simply terrible.

The lack of an IR Remote function is ridiculous.

There is not any type of working software that can be found to make my Samsung G4 work as a wireless interface. The company hired to write and support the 3rd party software (Pixela I believe) - is simply terrible.

In short, this will be my last Canon purchase based upon the experience that I've had. I am buying a second Camcorder to shoot video's with that has a better interface and a remote. The Vixia will be relagated to my 'backup and secondary view' camcorder (while recording two video streams that will be combined into one) that I only have to setup and use once and will not have to rely on zooming.

I do thank you for the reply.

The manual is for R60,R62 and R600, but the R600 has no internal memory. To download your video, insert the sd card to your desktop computer mini card slot and this is like a flash drive.

I have just the opposite problem ... and I disagree with the previous post saying there is no internal memory because my HF 600 has internal memory, as it initially recorded on the internal memory and not on the SD card.

How does one set this camera to record to the SD card?

Thank You.

To select memory for recording:

Home, recording set up, Sd, Sd, Sd, arrow go back, arrow go back, then tap X.

My R600 has no internal memory, only on SD card, maybe your model has this internal memory which I doubted.

Announcements