cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camcorder to replace 7D DSLR for video?

KatieO
Apprentice

I use a Canon 7D DSLR at work for stills and videos of products, and it has been just wonderful with quality, but where I live is VERY hot most of the year and the equipment I need to video is VERY large so we usually record outside. Even in the shade, (or sometimes even on cooler days in the sun) the 7D cannot record HD video for more than a minute or two in these conditions before overheating. I've looked for a fix online, but this just seems to be a common issue for this camera. Some people can get up to 12 minutes before overheating, but mine seems to not like to record for more than 3 or 4 minutes at a time.

I recently missed out on crucial product recording because of this and I need a solution ASAP so that it never happens again!

Would any Canon camcorders fit the bill? Which will deliver the best quality? I'm hesitant to recommend a Cine camera to management because of the cost. I need something that can at least get near the quality of the 7D (fitted with the 24-70mm 2.8L).

Any recommendations? Thank you!

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If you wish to use EF lenses, then EOS Cinema is the way to go.  Some models currently on sale everywhere I look, at seemingly clearance pricing.

The other Canon choice would be their professional camcorders, the XA, XC, and XF series.  They have fixed lenses.  They would probably be ideal for ENG applications.  Try renting one.

Your other choice would be purchase a different DSLR, but they all suffer from overheating issues, no matter who makes it.  Canon DSLRs seem to suffer the least, believe it or not.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I don't need to be able to use my DSLR lenses, I am fine with a camcorder as long as the quality isn't too big of a dip down from what the 7D gives.

I'm most proficient in stills photography, so I'm not up on video cameras right now. Regarding the XA, XC, and XF series camcorders, which would you recomend to replace our 7D for video work? What's the major difference between the three?

The most differences are the size of the sensors and the hardware and software features:i/e/; quantity and type of mic input jacks; how much manual control you have, etc..  They should produce images that are at least comparable.  All of the models, with the exception of the 3 image sensor XF300, are pretty much glorified Vixia camcorders.  They have on-screen touch controls, instead of actual buttons and knobs.

If you want the flexibility of what the 7D offered, and actual knobs, then I still recommend giving Cinema EOS a look.

Thank you! I'm looking at the Canon Vixia HF G20. I will need a Steadicam for this guy but am not sure which type will work best. All I am finding are large ones for DSLRs and tiny ones for iPhones.

@KatieO wrote:

Thank you! I'm looking at the Canon Vixia HF G20. I will need a Steadicam for this guy but am not sure which type will work best. All I am finding are large ones for DSLRs and tiny ones for iPhones.

I bought one of those Vixia's for my son and his wife.  I was amazed at the size.  It was just a little larger than a hot dog bun.  For the price of the G20, I would invest in a DSLR.  The larger DSLR sensor would give you better image quality.  You can also get better ISO handling, and better control.  The Vixia will basically be point and shoot.  The downside to the DSLR is they are all susceptible to overheating. 

However, with that said, I think the best bang for the buck Canon DSLR for shooting video is the EOS 80D, with its' dual pixel AF.  In other words, it can auto-focus while shooting video.

The overheating is what I am wanting to avoid in the first place. It is the whole reason I came to the camcorder forum. I don't need another DSLR that is just going to do the same thing as the 7D that I already have. I understand that the G20 is small, and the size of it is not a big deal to me. It just needs to work, have HD resolution, and not overheat. The specs show that it has full manual settings, so I am good there as well.

Anyone have experience with steadicams for camcorders like this? I need to find one that isn't huge.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements